Iowa Poll: Deja Vu All Over Again.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
That does not make sense, since the smaller states would have same proportional say in a primary if all the primaries were held on the same day.

That is not a reason to skew primary politics. We should have a national government determined by the needs of local business? I can understand why NH, Iowa and South Carolina would want to keep the present system in protecting their own interests, but that is not the national interest.
As far as I know the RNC and DNC like it that way as well. They like being able to visit, talk to voters and compile a campaign strategy. As I said, its vastly different for a primary than a national campaign so the parties like it. Dont forget, they also get massive sums of money by doing these early primaries. Why would that many in small states bother to raise money if it was all on CA and NY? We have fundraisers almost daily once the campaign season gets going.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
As far as I know the RNC and DNC like it that way as well. They like being able to visit, talk to voters and compile a campaign strategy. As I said, its vastly different for a primary than a national campaign so the parties like it. Dont forget, they also get massive sums of money by doing these early primaries. Why would that many in small states bother to raise money if it was all on CA and NY? We have fundraisers almost daily once the campaign season gets going.
But it would not be all on CA and NY. Delegate counts would not change by having the primaries all on the same day.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Of course, which keeps prices down as well. With advanced communications and transportation technology, the world has shrunken, making free trade better for everyone in the long run. It does mean, however, that America needs to innovate more in order to keep up our standard of living across the board (rather than just for the top 1% who own 80+% of everything).
I agree and innovation is crucial. But even now we still have a majority with no college degrees so they need work as well. We are seeing the downside to this in Europe now as well with far right parties gaining the support of the blue collar union workers. They tell them they need them and will protect them. They fear automation will destroy their livelihoods.

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Why, by being more well-educated, more well-trained, and by having access to much more physical capital, and much more advanced technology.

In exactly the same way we competed with the rest of the world in the decades after World War II, in other words, when we stood astride the world like a colossus.
Then why wasn't there a NAFTA before 1992? What was the need to create it if we have had the formula for competing with third world sweatshops since WW2?

Seems like you're saying that NAFTA was a solution to a problem that we already solved decades before, right?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
But it would not be all on CA and NY. Delegate counts would not change by having the primaries all on the same day.
True but one day would be difficult. People want to get to know the candidates and go to townhalls. Why would any candidate bother to go anywhere besides CA, NY, FL and TX? Bill Clinton became known early because he appealed to small town America. Had it been up to CA first he never would have won.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
I agree and innovation is crucial. But even now we still have a majority with no college degrees so they need work as well.
A college education is not always best for everyone, though certainly valuable. Not every college/university degree, however, creates economic opportunity. Ideally, everyone should have a basic college education no matter what his or her ultimate profession/trade is to be, but that may not be practical.
We are seeing the downside to this in Europe now as well with far right parties gaining the support of the blue collar union workers. They tell them they need them and will protect them. They fear automation will destroy their livelihoods.
And it may well do so, as has been the case throughout the history of technological innovation. Society as a whole simply retools and moves on. The question is how to not leave behind the people who were doing the now-obsolete jobs while continuing to use and improve upon new technologies.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
True but one day would be difficult. People want to get to know the candidates and go to townhalls.
Those two things are not mutually exclusive.
Why would any candidate bother to go anywhere besides CA, NY, FL and TX?
Because the delegate counts across the states would be the same. A single day's primary makes as much sense as a single election day.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
A college education is not always best for everyone, though certainly valuable. Not every college/university degree, however, creates economic opportunity. Ideally, everyone should have a basic college education no matter what his or her ultimate profession/trade is to be, but that may not be practical.

And it may well do so, as has been the case throughout the history of technological innovation. Society as a whole simply retools and moves on. The question is how to not leave behind the people who were doing the now-obsolete jobs while continuing to use and improve upon new technologies.
Thats just it and why I see the rise of the far right these days. We have so many in "survival mode" worried about their future or careers worldwide. These leaders see that and "speak to them." I feel your pain and so on. Trump did that with NAFTA and he managed to eek out those scared voters. Problem is we need to prepare now, not wait until automation is fully here. Then its too late. Its a bit similar to the 1930s where we saw authoritarians winning because people were scared of the technology of the day.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
And of course the authoritarians pose the greater danger by far.
They do and we are unprepared. People are angry at the changing landscapes and acting out. Lashing against immigrants, migrants etc. I think perhaps the US might have it out of our system by now, but if Canada, Germany and other elections dont go well right before ours in 2020, then who knows what might happen?