Iran protests: UN fears dozens of people have been killed

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Dozens of people may have been killed in Iran since Friday during protests against a sharp rise in petrol prices, the UN human rights office says.

A spokesman urged security personnel not to use excessive force, including firing live ammunition, and called for access to the internet to be restored.

Amnesty International said it had received credible reports that at least 106 protesters in 21 cities had died.
The protests erupted on Friday after the government announced the price of petrol would be increased by 50% to 15,000 rials ($0.12; £0.09 at the unofficial market exchange rate) a litre and that drivers would be allowed to purchase only 60 litres each month before the price rose to 30,000 rials.
Security forces have been filmed firing on protesters; the families of those killed say the authorities have refused to hand over their bodies for burial; there is a heavy security presence in public squares and on major streets; many university students have been arrested; and the judiciary has warned that sending videos abroad is a criminal offence.
The government instituted a shutdown of the internet but there is still some information coming out of Iran online.

I read someone suggest that since the Iranian government has shut down the internet for citizens, then social media like Twitter and Facebook should shut down any accounts associated with the Iranian government.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
[snip]
I read someone suggest that since the Iranian government has shut down the internet for citizens, then social media like Twitter and Facebook should shut down any accounts associated with the Iranian government.
That would be a massive conflict of interest for the platform if they did something like that. Accusations of interference would be quite remarkable.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Oct 2019
Earth
I should have saved the article, but read from a more local source that it's around 500 dead, a few thousand injured and up to 10k arrested.

Although those were all stated as estimates.

Reactions: The Man