Is anyone familiar with J Krishnamurti?

May 2013
N Oregon Coast
I saw him speak in the 80s a couple of times in Ojai, CA where he established a private school.
Thanks to @Son of liberty for the inspiration!

Jiddu Krishnamurti > Quotes > Quotable Quote

“Patriotism, whether it is of the Western kind, or of the Eastern kind, is the same, a poison in human beings that is really distorting thought. So patriotism is a disease, and when you begin to realize, become aware that it is a disease, then you will see how your mind is reacting to that disease. When, in time of war, the whole world talks of patriotism, you will know the falseness of it, and therefore you will act as a true human being”

― Jiddu Krishnamurti

Sep 2013
On a hill
I saw him speak in the 80s a couple of times in Ojai, CA where he established a private school.
Thanks to @Son of liberty for the inspiration!

Jiddu Krishnamurti > Quotes > Quotable Quote

“Patriotism, whether it is of the Western kind, or of the Eastern kind, is the same, a poison in human beings that is really distorting thought. So patriotism is a disease, and when you begin to realize, become aware that it is a disease, then you will see how your mind is reacting to that disease. When, in time of war, the whole world talks of patriotism, you will know the falseness of it, and therefore you will act as a true human being”

― Jiddu Krishnamurti

I saw him speak in the 70s in Berkeley I think.

May 2013
N Oregon Coast
I saw him speak in the 70s in Berkeley I think.
Super interesting guy with quite an attachment to Ojai.

Remember what I said ^ about John Lennon? Kaboom! :)

Krishnamurti at the Oak Grove. When Jiddu Krishnamurti first arrived in Ojai during the summer of 1922, he was already the leader of his own worldwide religious organization, the Order of the Star. During his 1922-23 visit, he spoke at the Hollywood Bowl to an audience of over 16,000 followers. In 1924 he began giving talks in Ojai at the Oak Grove (above), which continued until his death in 1986. Krishnamurti established his Ojai home at Arya Vihara (below), making Ojai one of four worldwide centers for his teachings. He held many discussions and private interviews at Arya Vihara. Among those who visited Krishnamurti here were Annie Besant, Charlie Chaplin, Aldous Huxley, Jonas Salk, John Lennon, Greta Garbo, Igor Stravinsky, D.H. Lawrence, and David Bohm.

Jul 2013
U.S.A.
Yep, he was an interesting guy to be sure. Of course, he was "discovered" by the Theosophists as a young teenager and subsequently groomed to be the "world teacher." To his credit, I'd say, he did at a fairly early age more or less reject the more occult aspects of Theosophy and his supposed role as the chosen one. Still, one can't help but wonder how his earlier years shaped his philosophy going forward. He certainly did espouse a lot of inspirational, transcendental moral/ethical themes. That's all fine. Still, his meditations seem somewhat detached from most peoples' experience. There's nothing wrong with that, of course. Indeed, perhaps we need that now more than ever. But I wonder if that very detachment may make it difficult for many folks to identify with and embrace the most necessary parts of his teachings.

Cheers.