Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s game?

Sep 2013
Canada

Nothing that I know of, other than personal renderings or hear say, has ever been produced or provide to show the existence of a supernatural realm or entities. The ancients did not seem to think the supernatural was a reality. What is God?

No entity, good or evil, have ever manifested itself in a provable way, even though some think god is Omni-present and that Satan was given the ability and power to deceive us all.

I think that those who believe in supernatural entities are being taken advantage of by fraudulent preachers who recognize our propensity of over imagination, which we all have, as shown in the Princess Alice experiments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWx_uVDh4Cw

I can see some benefits in imaginary thinking to validate or refute ideas but that is about it.

Is belief or faith in the supernatural a worthy idea for us or is it a tool used by lying preachers intent on fleecing sheeple?

If there is no supernatural god, should we not seek a human leader or spiritual guide instead of idolizing imaginary supernatural gods that are demonstrably less moral than humans?

Regards

DL

May 2012
By the wall
You get the proof after you have taken the leap, not before.

I have seen God work in my life, things have happened that only could be God but you would never understand them but I know.

I know it 100%

If God gave you proof first then what would be the point?

He could ride down from Heaven tomorrow on a lightning bolt and you would see it and go, "yep he's real, I guess I will believe now" but you aren't doing it from your own free will.

I bet you have never even given God a chance.

All you have to do is ask Him and He will help you.

That is what I did.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state

Nothing that I know of, other than personal renderings or hear say, has ever been produced or provide to show the existence of a supernatural realm or entities. The ancients did not seem to think the supernatural was a reality. What is God?

No entity, good or evil, have ever manifested itself in a provable way, even though some think god is Omni-present and that Satan was given the ability and power to deceive us all.

I think that those who believe in supernatural entities are being taken advantage of by fraudulent preachers who recognize our propensity of over imagination, which we all have, as shown in the Princess Alice experiments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWx_uVDh4Cw

I can see some benefits in imaginary thinking to validate or refute ideas but that is about it.

Is belief or faith in the supernatural a worthy idea for us or is it a tool used by lying preachers intent on fleecing sheeple?

If there is no supernatural god, should we not seek a human leader or spiritual guide instead of idolizing imaginary supernatural gods that are demonstrably less moral than humans?

Regards

DL

Every civilization that has ever been has had its gods. That said, what if none of those gods is real? Does that mean that there is no god?

And if there is no god, does that mean that humans don't have a soul that lives on after the body is gone?

Jan 2016
Colorado
I don't know why on Earth you would say that "The ancients did not seem to think the supernatural was a reality."

To the ancients, almost everything was supernatural. Lightning was supernatural. The winds were supernatural. Volcanoes were supernatural. Mountains, trees, and rivers all had their own spirits. It was not until Thales came along, ~600 BC, that anyone really started looking for natural explanations of things.

So, frankly, I think your post got off on the wrong track, right from the start.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Every civilization that has ever been has had its gods. That said, what if none of those gods is real? Does that mean that there is no god?

And if there is no god, does that mean that humans don't have a soul that lives on after the body is gone?
Yuval Noah Harari, author of the two very interesting books, Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind, and Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow, certainly thinks it is palpably absurd to suppose that humans have a soul that survives death. Just FYI.

Apr 2019
Southeast
I don't believe in Bigfoot. So I don't talk about Bigfoot.

I especially don't talk about him with people who DO.

This, to me, seems sensible.
Oy yeah! Start at the 40 second mark, this is about 20 miles from here. :)
I know the chances are extrodinarily great it's fake but, it's fun to watch.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I don't believe in Bigfoot. So I don't talk about Bigfoot.

I especially don't talk about him with people who DO.

This, to me, seems sensible.
A Montana man was killed while pretending to be a Bigfoot:

http://static4.businessinsider.com/a-montana-man-was-killed-while-pretending-to-be-bigfoot-2012-8

That was about 7 years ago.

Some 51 years ago, I was ALMOST killed while pretending to be a Bigfoot. True story. I grew up along the Mississippi River in Iowa. Not RIGHT along the river, mind you, but in a heavily wooded area about four or five miles from the river. Kind of place where some folks might think they might see a Bigfoot. I was 12 going on 13. I had just read a book about Bigfoot, written by a serious (or at least semi-serious) anthropologist. And my mother's best friend just so happened to have a gorilla costume, see? [Long story, there, which I shall skip for now.] So I asked her if I could borrow it. This was in early October. She probably thought I wanted it for Halloween. I had something totally different in mind. So I waited until a night when there was a full moon, put on the gorilla costume, and went down on this winding country road near our home. Heavily wooded, as I said. With steep ditches on both sides of the road. And I was kinda staggering along the road, in kind of an ape-shuffle, my arms hanging low, almost touching the road, and making sure that the few passing cars saw me in their headlights. And, oh my!! The first several cars almost went into the ditch!! And I was LAUGHING inside of my gorilla costume, saying to myself, "Boy, is this FUN!!"

And then some fellow comes along in a pickup truck. He sees me, and what he does is, he slams on his brakes. He starts to turn around, and I suddenly realize he's got a GUN in his truck! Oh, shit! For just an instant, the thought passes through my head of whether I should maybe yank the head of the costume off and scream, "Don't shoot! I'm just a kid!" Or whether I should just run. I suddenly realized that this guy is hoping to bag himself a Bigfoot, and probably become famous, and get his picture on the cover of Time magazine, with his foot proudly propped up on the corpse of the first Bigfoot ever shot, and be able to brag about it to all his buddies in the bar. And I wondered if he might just shoot me on general principles, even if I revealed myself to be just a kid. ALL of these thoughts passed through my mind in about a millisecond. And I just ran. That guy took two shots at me. And I was running in a very zig-zag fashion, and faster than any Bigfoot you've ever seen, I can guarantee you that. And maybe he wasn't a very good shot. Or maybe I was just running real fast. Or maybe the trees provided plenty of cover. But, obviously, he didn't get me, or I wouldn't be here, telling this story.

It is really, REALLY dumb to be out there in the woods, pretending to be a Bigfoot. Good way to get yourself killed. When I was 12, going on 13, I didn't understand that.