Is Healthcare a Human Right?

Apr 2016
Seattle
I just got surgery with private health insurance, not only am I going to be stuck with a big portion of the bill, rendering me unable to pay my taxes this year and I'll have to file for an extension, but I'm getting less therapy and home health than I would have had I had Medicare or Medicaid.

I pay a higher percentage of taxes than most wealthy people due to them often paying simply the capital gains rate on the majority of their income, while I pay an earned income rate while not being able to collect the earned income credit because I'm a subcontractor who also pays all my own payroll taxes and receives no benefits such as insurance, workman's comp or unemployment.

Tell me again why I should give a shit if YOU don't like the idea of people like me never being able to retire due to the fact health care costs have put me in debt I'll likely die before I can pay off?

Its a difficult place to be. Medicaid for all would be better than touching my Medicare. Better plans are out there. I paid almost $1K a month for my personal insurance before I retired. But I chose a good plan - just in case. That was a lot! It meant that I could not afford certain things. Plans that include dental and long term care will cost us a fortune. I believe someone (Trump) had a plan in his hc bill that said businesses could get together and form larger cheaper plans.

Jun 2007
Ohio
Its a difficult place to be. Medicaid for all would be better than touching my Medicare. Better plans are out there. I paid almost $1K a month for my personal insurance before I retired. But I chose a good plan - just in case. That was a lot! It meant that I could not afford certain things. Plans that include dental and long term care will cost us a fortune. I believe someone (Trump) had a plan in his hc bill that said businesses could get together and form larger cheaper plans.
Most businesses would rather not pay for health insurance for their employees at all.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
I apologize if I am wrong but what part of my statement is false?
The part I highlighted. Here, I'll do it again just for you:

Education for everyone isn’t a national security issue. There will be millions who can afford to pay for their education. I wasn’t talking about college by the way, I was talking about K through 12. You said you don’t like to pay for other people‘s healthcare but yet you don’t mind paying for other people‘s education. By the way college isn’t for everyone I agree and free college would take people by their scores. Not everyone would get into college. Healthcare is also in the best interest if all Americans
Disagreed education isn't a national security issue. As noted previously, it is up to a point just like healthcare.

Jan 2017
The right to own firearms never existed in the ether.
Who said it did?
You think "rights"--the REAL rights--just float around? The just "exist"?
Incorrect. Istead of foolishly guessing, try asking me what I think.
Wow. That's primitive.
So is your logic.
See, rights are conventions of human society.
Not all of them.
We can decide what's a right and what's not a right. If you don't want healthcare to be a right, keep voting for Trump. But don't get sick!
Incorrect. We can decide what society will provide as a benefit. Healthcare isn't currently such a benefit and I've been sick many times. Not ecveryone is as dependent as you.

Jan 2017
And, if you can't afford healthcare, then you die.
Everyone dies, whether they can afford healthcare or not.
Or, you can commit a crime, go to jail, and get health care that way.
Go for it.
Or, you can learn to make meth, and make enough money to pay for what you need, you know, like in Breaking Bad. If you get caught, then see above.
Again, have at it.
Or, you can quit your job and go on welfare, then you'll qualify for Medicaid.
Sounds like a plan for liberal losers.
There are lots of choices.
How about working to pay your own way like an adult?
Telling that you didn't think of that option.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Everyone dies, whether they can afford healthcare or not.

Go for it.

Again, have at it.

Sounds like a plan for liberal losers.

How about working to pay your own way like an adult?
Telling that you didn't think of that option.

Working to pay your own way is a great idea.

Until you lose your job due to poor health, then get hit with a half million dollar bill.

Everyone dies. Hmmm... now, that sounds like a defense for murder or manslaughter. "Judge, he would have died anyway, so I really did no harm by killing him."