Is it a sin to lie to children about Santa Clause?

May 2007
your place
The Ten Commandments are pretty clear that “thou shalt not lie”. Parents tell their children that there is a dude who basically spies on them (violating their civil liberties) and will give them presents if they are good. The gifts that are supposedly made by elves are in reality often made by poor children in other countries who work in prison like conditions. When children get older they learn that “Santa Clause” is really the guy that has been porking their mother. Since it promotes the “Christmas Spirit” as well as corporate marketing strategies, is it OK to break one of the Ten Commandments and tell premeditated lies to children?

Best Holliday wishes to all. Merry Christmas and happy New Year.

Nov 2015
UK
The Ten Commandments are pretty clear that “thou shalt not lie”. Parents tell their children that there is a dude who basically spies on them (violating their civil liberties) and will give them presents if they are good. The gifts that are supposedly made by elves are in reality often made by poor children in other countries who work in prison like conditions. When children get older they learn that “Santa Clause” is really the guy that has been porking their mother. Since it promotes the “Christmas Spirit” as well as corporate marketing strategies, is it OK to break one of the Ten Commandments and tell premeditated lies to children?

In short, no.

And a Merry Christmas and prosperous New Year to you too.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Even as a child I thought Santa was creepy. I was the kid crying in the photo while sitting on his lap.

Still think it's bizarre that people tell their kids this crap.

Reactions: Panzareta

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Even as a child I thought Santa was creepy. I was the kid crying in the photo while sitting on his lap.

In some ways, it's a discipline tool. It's another way to encourage kids to not be bad. But mostly it's fun to play along with. There's a kid in my life I'm pretty close with. He's 6. I'm saddened to think that he doesn't have too much time believing in Santa Claus left.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Aren't parents also the one's who sets the record straight when they are 9-ish years old?

The idea of Santa is supposed to be fun for kids, for a little while. Then we grow up. Kids should have a chance to be kids for a bit before expected to view the world through grown, negative, tired eyes.

Jun 2014
United States

Can you prove that Santa doesn't exist?

• Haha
Reactions: DerpStateSally
Apr 2014
Maryland

My husband felt the same way you did and he told my daughter there was no Santa Claus in the North Pole . There was a deadly silence and then she said, “oh no… I bet there’s no Easter bunny either”

Apr 2014
Maryland
Aren't parents also the one's who sets the record straight when they are 9-ish years old?

The idea of Santa is supposed to be fun for kids, for a little while. Then we grow up. Kids should have a chance to be kids for a bit before expected to view the world through grown, negative, tired eyes.
Isn’t God Santa Claus for adults?