Is it time to take man out of the cockpit?

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
At this point pilots are just redundant entities to ensure the computers are flying correctly.
Over the years, most accidents have been caused by human pilot error anyway.
Airline pilots do very little manual flying.

I think the days of manned aircraft are coming to an end.
What say you?

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
For passenger aircraft? :think: Hmm... nah. I'd rather have a Capt. Skully in the cockpit instead of MS WindowsXX.
Why does he need to be in the cockpit? (pilots in Arizona fly drones daily in the Middle East)

I'd rather trust a computer that didn't have a fight with his wife last night, is drunk, sick or just having a bad day.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Why does he need to be in the cockpit? (pilots in Arizona fly drones daily in the Middle East)

I'd rather trust a computer that didn't have a fight with his wife last night, is drunk, sick or just having a bad day.
Ooookay, but you gonna miss out on some amusing conversations between the atc and the pilots..

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
At this point pilots are just redundant entities to ensure the computers are flying correctly.

What say you?
Considering how you framed this, would you rather:

1. Have the error dealt with by a trained human pilot?
2. Have the error dealt with by a team of 20-something computer programmers?

I'll go with the pilot personally.

Eventually though, all travel will be piloted by computers.

Jul 2018
North Carolina

True, but every action that happens on an aircraft is confirmed by a human pilot(s). We are just not ready for computers to fly airplanes solo with passengers on board.

Not to mention the older planes I fixed / flew on. Other than Autopilot very few systems are controlled by non-humans.
During IFE's (In Flight Emergencies) everything is dependent on a process of multiple people to handle a potential emergency. No computer can perform these actions.

Jul 2018
North Carolina
Ooookay, but you gonna miss out on some amusing conversations between the atc and the pilots..

Man ole man have I heard some really cool / funny conversations with between pilots and Air Traffic Controllers in my fling days LOL.

I and military coworkers alike have had some interesting / funny conversations with Ground Control.

One time in Christ Church New Zealand we had to tow an aircraft out to the "hammer head", so we could run the engines to max power for maintenance. After being put on hold for engine run clearance from ground three times we started getting board because we were out there waiting for quite some time.
On the control yoke(s) there is an intercom / radio xmit trigger to talk back and forth. You push forward for inside the aircraft intercom, and you pull backwards to xmit outside the aircraft to talk to Ground / Tower etc etc. We had one guy who accidentally pulled instead of pushing the switch, so he thought he was talking on the intercom, but was actually talking to Ground. He said, ' We are Americans, why in the F*** do we have to wait on these @$$h****, this is Bull$***'. We were like man you transmitted out. He was like damn no way. In a few seconds, Ground called back, and told us we have engine run clearance for maintenance, but there was no reason to be rude. He got into some trouble, but luckily for us the New Zealanders had a good sense of humor about it because that was embarrassing.

Mar 2019
California

What say you?
And if the autopilot goes out of whack?