Is it time to take man out of the cockpit?

CtC

Mar 2019
California
Man ole man have I heard some really cool / funny conversations with between pilots and Air Traffic Controllers in my fling days LOL.

I and military coworkers alike have had some interesting / funny conversations with Ground Control.

One time in Christ Church New Zealand we had to tow an aircraft out to the "hammer head", so we could run the engines to max power for maintenance. After being put on hold for engine run clearance from ground three times we started getting board because we were out there waiting for quite some time.
On the control yoke(s) there is an intercom / radio xmit trigger to talk back and forth. You push forward for inside the aircraft intercom, and you pull backwards to xmit outside the aircraft to talk to Ground / Tower etc etc. We had one guy who accidentally pulled instead of pushing the switch, so he thought he was talking on the intercom, but was actually talking to Ground. He said, ' We are Americans, why in the F*** do we have to wait on these @$$h****, this is Bull$***'. We were like man you transmitted out. He was like damn no way. In a few seconds, Ground called back, and told us we have engine run clearance for maintenance, but there was no reason to be rude. He got into some trouble, but luckily for us the New Zealanders had a good sense of humor about it because that was embarrassing.
That reminds me of one of the Space flights. One of the Astronaughts Tang dispensers was leaking. He was on speaker. "I'm drowning in the damn stuff. Besides,it's giving me the sh--ts! Forget who it was.

Jul 2018
North Carolina
That reminds me of one of the Space flights. One of the Astronaughts Tang dispensers was leaking. He was on speaker. "I'm drowning in the damn stuff. Besides,it's giving me the sh--ts! Forget who it was.
LOL I’m sure that would present a very unique challenge or two.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Man is the weak link in any flight control system......imo. (our bodies can't stand the forces that modern aircraft can produce and our minds are to slow.)