Is "Muscle Memory" real?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I learned how to type. We were not allowed to look at the keys. When I had thoroughly learned the keys, by memorizing the touch with the correct finger position, I no longer had to think each key. I was able to type very quickly , over 100 words per minute.
I took 2 weeks of an 8-week typing class in 8th grade. The typewriters had no letters or symbols printed on them, so it did not matter whether you looked at the keys or not. I quit after 2 weeks because by then I had learned the keyboard and just needed practice, so I went back to my free time ("study hall") to read, and practiced to the point where I have quite the facility ... if I think about where the keys are I lose my "zone" - kind of like the best way to stop a millipede in its tracks is to ask it in which order it moves its legs.

Mar 2018
Florida
I took 2 weeks of an 8-week typing class in 8th grade. The typewriters had no letters or symbols printed on them, so it did not matter whether you looked at the keys or not. I quit after 2 weeks because by then I had learned the keyboard and just needed practice, so I went back to my free time ("study hall") to read, and practiced to the point where I have quite the facility ... if I think about where the keys are I lose my "zone" - kind of like the best way to stop a millipede in its tracks is to ask it in which order it moves its legs.
I taught business subjects. I can’t believe how important it was to teach students not to look at the keys and use correct fingers. Here we are in the texting mode where all the kids use either their thumbs or pointer fingers. Just another example of how things change over time.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
Heh!

There's no memory stored in muscles. It's just a figure of speech to describe the phenomenon. The memory's upstairs where all the other memories are. ;)
I disagree. Ever see a chicken with its head cut off? There was actually a chicken who lived for several years AFTER its head was removed. It seams as if a certain amount of "memory" remains in your nervous system. Kind of like your computers DOS.

*Have not Googled anything yet as per the OP's request, but relying on common knowledge.

Jun 2014
United States
I disagree. Ever see a chicken with its head cut off?

Yes, I have, but I've never seen one play a musical instrument or serve a tennis ball.

Anyone who's ever chopped the head off of a snake knows that muscles can continue to twitch without any conscious commands to do so arriving from the brain.
I don't know if I'd call that memory though.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
I disagree. Ever see a chicken with its head cut off? There was actually a chicken who lived for several years AFTER its head was removed. It seams as if a certain amount of "memory" remains in your nervous system. Kind of like your computers DOS.

*Have not Googled anything yet as per the OP's request, but relying on common knowledge.
Interesting concept.
Maybe we are just not evolved enough to understand how our bodies really work.

Jul 2015
Maryland USA
The only personal perspective I can note is that when using a golf club, most times, my body pays little to no attention to the instructions from my brain.