Is "Muscle Memory" real?

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Devil was just being a goober. It was a set up!!!

(is this where somebody should go ahead and <report> him......??)

It's obviously a legitimate question because no one can prove whether there isn't some form off memory capability in the muscles.

Why are you so upset? (you THANKED my op)
Are you OK?

Last edited:

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
Along those same lines...

Stumbled across a semi-fun exercise on the interwebs a while back. It provided a template for printing out a "blank" keyboard. Made a number of copies and passed them around to a number of workmates. Basically a bunch of IT computer support folks. Good typers.

Entertaining to watch. Everybody could get some of the keys. But after "qwerty" things did slow down a lot. Nobody could fill in anything close to the whole keyboard.

I have some friends who are computer programmers, and apparently that's what the cool kids have. A keyboard with nothing printed on any of the keys.

keyboard.png

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
Please don't Google it for now.
Let's see what members believe first.

Yes it's real, it's not in the muscles it's in the brain. Repetition is the key to remembering.

Repetition is the key to remembering.

I teach jiu-jitsu and often state it takes 10,000 times to get the move perfectly.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Yes. Something interesting happens to the body when you have a back problem detected or undetected. Your brain changes your walk to compensate for that issue. You don't know it but it may show itself as a foot, leg, or knee problem eventually due to the strain of the brain's automatically adjusted stride.
True, Min. I have always had lower back problems. I bought one of those copper back braces. When my lower back really hurts I put on the brace. I noticed it made me walk different and the pain goes away. I can then take it off.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
The body and mind are intricately connected. What the body repeats, the mind remembers, imho. It's like if you have a cramp and you see in your mind the muscle being massaged, it relaxes
That does not work for me,Cookie!:) takes actual massage or Aspercreme!:)

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
I took 2 weeks of an 8-week typing class in 8th grade. The typewriters had no letters or symbols printed on them, so it did not matter whether you looked at the keys or not. I quit after 2 weeks because by then I had learned the keyboard and just needed practice, so I went back to my free time ("study hall") to read, and practiced to the point where I have quite the facility ... if I think about where the keys are I lose my "zone" - kind of like the best way to stop a millipede in its tracks is to ask it in which order it moves its legs.
I think,there fore I lose! And I did take a typing class.

Oct 2013
USA
True, Min. I have always had lower back problems. I bought one of those copper back braces. When my lower back really hurts I put on the brace. I noticed it made me walk different and the pain goes away. I can then take it off.
Muscle memory is an actual thing. My husband injured his back and the recommended physical therapy involved repeated core exercises. It made a huge difference in pain management and muscle rebuilding. The automatic adjustment in his walk was without his permission! Apparently the path the brain stores is not always perfect. Haha. It is very interesting how this works for injuries or even sports.

Glad you found relief.

Last edited:

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I'm not sure if it's "muscle memory"; but I was going through my old stuff recently (we decided to finally get rid of all these boxes we had stored under our bed ever since we moved here lol)

I came across my high school locker lock, that I got when I came here to Canada and started school here, and used ever since; and then it lay somewhere for, what, gonna be 11 years soon, since I graduated, haven't really laid eyes, let alone fingers, on it in all that time. But, as soon as it was in my hand, the combination just came right back to me and I popped it open in seconds :)