Is retaining your job more important than retaining your honor?

Is retaining your job more important than retaining your honor?

• No

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Unfortunately to most politicians the answer is YES.

Vote for strict term limits......2 terms

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
I'd say it's probably exactly what many of them had in mind. We need to remember, they were politicians too, not saints.
I'm old enough to have talked to most of them and, aside from wanting me to be Prez, they envisioned no life-long careers in the congress.

Last edited:

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
I'm old enough to have talked to most of them and, aside from wanting me to be Prez, they envisioned no careers in the congress.
That doesn't mean they wanted to cede power to those they disagreed with.

Plus, it's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. When most of the founding fathers were at the beginning of their professional careers, the country we live in today hadn't been founded yet. That would make it hard to have a lifelong career in American politics when America didn't exist until you were in your late 30s, 40s, 50s or later.

That being said, John Adams was 39 when he entered political life and 67 at the end of his presidency. That's a pretty good career.

Thomas Jefferson began his political career at the age of 32 and left the presidency at the age of 66.

James Madison began his political career at the age of 35 and left the presidency at the age of 66.