Is the hammer and sickle as offensive as the swastika or the confederate flag?

Jun 2014
United States

I'd say that it all depends upon the particular individual being offended. Display of the hammer and sickle symbol is prohibited by law in some countries, so I think it's safe to say that it is considered offensive by some folks.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Lithuania Says Walmart Has Agreed To Stop Selling Soviet-Themed T-Shirts

That said, Walmart can do that, because they don't do business in Russia, no Walmart stores there.

Other companies, who do have outlets and such over there, have to contend with that...

Communist Party of Russian Federation (CPRF) is still number two party there, after Putin's own United Russia; they are second biggest faction in the Duma (parliament) and have also the Governorships of numerous regions...

And they sure as hell can still make life difficult for any company in Russia, domestic or foreign, whom they see as attacking them and their ideology...

And Russia is still a fairly lucrative market, mind...

Good news is, IMHO, CPRF's main appeal is to older folks with nostalgia for their Soviet youth. Their biggest support base is literally ageing and dying out every day. I believe they will decline with time :)

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS

I'd say that it all depends upon the particular individual being offended. Display of the hammer and sickle symbol is prohibited by law in some countries, so I think it's safe to say that it is considered offensive by some folks.

So swastika bad
Confederate flag bad
Hammer and sickle, depends?

Jun 2014
United States
So swastika bad
Confederate flag bad
Hammer and sickle, depends?

No, I didn't say that. What I said is that the level of offensiveness of any particular symbol depends upon the POV of the individual observer. Is the Confederate flag a banned symbol in any nation? I'm not aware of any such prohibition.

Reactions: Davocrat