Is the hammer and sickle as offensive as the swastika or the confederate flag?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Im all for breaking taboos when it's a case of "this thing is taboo, but it shouldn't be". That's a positive argument to break a taboo.

But " this thing is taboo, but there are other things but there just as offensive or more, so I am gonna do this anyway".

Thats not a valid position. If those other things are as bad or worse then don't do ANY of them.

Yes I think using a Soviet flag for decoration or political statements is abhorrent and disrespectful to its victims. So that means don't wave it, it doesn't mean "oh OK that means I can wave my swastika or confederate flag now, cause fair is fair"
Tell that to the Russian diaspora here in Toronto...

(I would, but I don't wanna get beat up... lol)

This is a damn recent phenomenon here, too, I am told, since 2014, since Crimea and all that. Seems the consulate became more active here since, rallying the emigrant community to this shit...

Last edited:
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Once again. There may be as many as 5000 "Nazis" in this country. It is really a Prison gang called Aryan Brotherhood. Since most of the thugs are indeed LOCKED UP, I don't see them as a threat.There are far more Antifa terrorists.
Link?

Apr 2014
Maryland
Once again. There may be as many as 5000 "Nazis" in this country. It is really a Prison gang called Aryan Brotherhood. Since most of the thugs are indeed LOCKED UP, I don't see them as a threat.There are far more Antifa terrorists.
Wow..do you need to be educated....I guess you don’t count all the white supremacists. The have grown over 30% and rising. I guess you didn’t notice all the swatzikas in Charlottesville. I think we have different values I don’t hate a group who opposes neo-Nazis as much as I oppose the group who wants to get rid of blacks and Jews

Over 1,000 Hate Groups Are Now Active in United States, Civil Rights Group Says

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----
Swastika has an interesting history.

The symbol was fine until the Nazis stigmatized/demonized it in modern times.....specifically the 1930s.

Yes, the 45th inf division patch was a swastika prior to being changed to the Thunderbird in the 1930s

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
Is the hammer and sickle as offensive as the swastika or the confederate flag?

I say yes at minimum.

Discuss,
Hmm...

I am not sure if "offensive" is the right word. I grew up in the 70s and 80s, and the USSR was the enemy of my country. I have always viewed the nation of Russia and the former USSR in that light. (Though I separate how I feel about the people, from how I feel about the nation)

Certainly I would look at the first two as enemy ensigns.

I don't feel the same way about the confederate flag... perhaps I should. But because it was quite a bit earlier, I don't feel the same sort of betrayal from it... and in part that may be because I come from a state that was in that confederacy.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I don't feel the same way about the confederate flag... perhaps I should. But because it was quite a bit earlier, I don't feel the same sort of betrayal from it... and in part that may be because I come from a state that was in that confederacy.
The confederate flag is a symbol of treason. It also is a(n ironic) symbol of Donald "you-lost-get-over-it" Trump.

That said, the hammer & sickle is probably the least offensive of the three. It represented a country, and more broadly a competitor political ideology. The other two - the swastika and the confederate flag - are political symbols with hatred/genocide and treason as their ideologies, respectively. I would thus rank offensiveness of the three symbols, relative to each other, as: swastika, confederate flag, hammer-and-sickle.