Is Transgenderism a disorder?

Is Transgenderism a mental disorder?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mar 2019
Down a back road turn south on a gravel drive
What does Political Hotwire believe on the transgender issue?

Ever since gay marriage and Bruce Jenner (a father and grandfather) and Obama, this idea that has been promoted that people are trapped in the wrong body. And that sex changes and hormones are needed to make them "who they really are."

It looks like this debate will be heating up with some "Equality Act" coming up.

Is something wrong in the mind, or are they in the wrong body?

My view:

It is a mental illness.

What do you say? Discuss.

Last edited:
Mar 2019
Down a back road turn south on a gravel drive
Why can't you people just mind your own damn business? Why are you so obsessed with gays and transgenders?
We do mind our own business.

But there will be laws discussed and coming that want to dictate that you must hire a mentally ill person to work for you. Or that you must bake transgender cakes. Remember one guy has already been presented with a lawsuit for this. For now, he has beaten it. That won't stay that way forever if they Left comes to power.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
What does Political Hotwire believe on the transgender issue?

Ever since gay marriage and Bruce Jenner (a father and grandfather) and Obama, this idea that has been promoted that people are trapped in the wrong body. And that sex changes and hormones are needed to make them "who they really are."

It looks like this debate will be heating up with some "Equality Act" coming up.

Is something wrong in the mind, or are they in the wrong body?

My view:

It is a mental illness.

What do you say? Discuss.
I don't know how to vote on that. First, if we're talking about a disorder, I think the experts speak not of transgenderism, but of gender dysphoria -- the feeling that one is trapped in a body that doesn't line up, anatomically, with one's sense of personal gender. I think it's fair to call that a "disorder," in the sense that it definitely diminishes the quality of life of such people in a big way. But if we're talking about "transgenderism" in the sense of allowing such people to live as the gender they identify with, potentially including medical interventions to make their body line up better with how they see themselves, I think the medical literature suggests that tends to make them happier and more fulfilled, and so it would be a treatment for a disorder, rather than a disorder in its own right.

I think that, ideally, we'd identify what it is that makes a person's mental sense of his gender not line up with his body, and we'd address the former, not the latter, since we lack the tools to bring a person's body fully into line with the opposite sex, and even if someday we developed those tools, it will always likely remain a much bigger, more expensive, and more disruptive intervention than some theoretical method for addressing the psychological aspect of it, in order to bring the person's mind into alignment with his anatomy. If we could, for example, discover that a particular enzyme deficiency was keeping a particular sex hormone from interacting with a particular part of the brain, and supplementing the enzyme could eliminate gender dysphoria, that would be a good solution for everyone -- cheap, quick, easy, and minimally disruptive from a social and personal perspective. But right now we don't have anything like that. Right now, as I understand it, the most successful tool we have to help people with gender dysphoria live in a happy and fulfilled way is to help them align their bodies and social presentation with their sense of gender.