Islamic hate crime, or white nationalist hate crime?

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
Murder and Extremism in the United States in 2018

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, March 12, 2018. Corey Johnson, 17, killed a 13-year-old and severely injured two others in a stabbing spree during a sleepover. One victim was stabbed 32 times but survived. Johnson was charged as an adult with first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder. He had a long history of violent tendencies and extremist beliefs, including an interest in white supremacy. However, in the year before the attack he had become interested in radical Islam (and had even been reported to the FBI by local law enforcement). After his arrest, Johnson reportedly told investigators he had stabbed his victims “because of his Muslim faith.”26

The ADL has listed this as a white nationalist hate crime and not an Islamic hate crime. Do you agree with this assessment or do you think the ADL is salting the results?

Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
The ADL has listed this as a white nationalist hate crime and not an Islamic hate crime. Do you agree with this assessment or do you think the ADL is salting the results?
It sounds like it could hypothetically be both. It also sounds like the guy is (and always has been) mentally ill, and his real motivations may not yet be known.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
I would like to point out it's been brought to my attention, that even though in the other thread the article author has linked this incident to white nationalism, and the ADL heat map used to show it as such, the ADL heat map has quietly switched this incident to islamic hate....

I agree with the change.

@Ian Jeffrey I kinda agree with you, #1 he was a crackpot, and the ideals of crackpots shouldnt be taken any more serious than their mental illness.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
This was an islamic hate crime.

The ADL cannot ignore what the perpetrator said that ("he had stabbed his victims “because of his Muslim faith.” ) and classify it differently just becacuse it doesn't fit their agenda.

However, I agree with the angle that he is mentally ill and those folks are simply attracted to that kind of thing.

Sep 2014
USA
Right my point is in another thread, this incident is used to claim "white nationalist attacks are on the rise"....
One thing that I remember from my Stat Professors is don't place a whole lot of belief in Stats because they can be manipulated to slant in any direction you want to persuade your audience. I see it all the time in healthcare research....such as "this is bad for you" and "this is good for you...talking about the same thing. Now that I am older and been around the block, I depend a lot on what I see and I have never met a White Supremacist in my life. I have even lived in States where they are harbored and never met one. The hospital I work, has a contract with the County jail...and never has one been admitted from the jail. It is hard to put your arms around something, if you have never witnessed it. Believe me, I have met just about everyone or stereotype you can think of. I think we are labeling people based on skin color when a crime is committed. If a murderer is a white male, they are assumed to be a white christian surpremacist, if they are black, they are gang banger. If they are Arab, they are automatically labeled as a Jhadist. If they are Hispanic, they are automatically labeled as MS 13 or undocumented. It also seems to be where you live. If I believed every article that is written about white supremacy, California seems to be the hot bed for them, but I know better than that. People believe what they want to believe...especially if it is an opportunity to outrage. We need to stop labeling people based on the color of their skin. It is taking us right back to the Civil rights movement.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
One thing that I remember from my Stat Professors is don't place a whole lot of belief in Stats because they can be manipulated to slant in any direction you want to persuade your audience. I see it all the time in healthcare research....such as "this is bad for you" and "this is good for you...talking about the same thing. Now that I am older and been around the block, I depend a lot on what I see and I have never met a White Supremacist in my life. I have even lived in States where they are harbored and never met one. The hospital I work, has a contract with the County jail...and never has one been admitted from the jail. It is hard to put your arms around something, if you have never witnessed it. Believe me, I have met just about everyone or stereotype you can think of. I think we are labeling people based on skin color when a crime is committed. If a murderer is a white male, they are assumed to be a white christian surpremacist, if they are black, they are gang banger. If they are Arab, they are automatically labeled as a Jhadist. If they are Hispanic, they are automatically labeled as MS 13 or undocumented. It also seems to be where you live. If I believed every article that is written about white supremacy, California seems to be the hot bed for them, but I know better than that. People believe what they want to believe...especially if it is an opportunity to outrage. We need to stop labeling people based on the color of their skin. It is taking us right back to the Civil rights movement.

Now expand on that, have media saturation of a problem almost no one has seen or encountered, and suddenly people have bogeyman to be afraid of. Instead of seeking facts they cling to this fear and apply it to thier lives. It's sad and a little scary to see how quickly people will fall into that same mentality of what they hate. Scapegoating others based on hype and propaganda, they cant find any actual white supremacists so they start calling anyone they disagree with one.

Jul 2011
Toronto
lol I'm sorry, but that guy is not a "Muslim". Just because he may have read some screwed up shit on the internet and then declared himself a part of a faith does not actually make him one.

He is a white Western guy who likely has never so much as actually read the Koran or any other holy book. Give me a break.

I can claim to be Buddhist tomorrow. Or Zoroastrian. It won't actually make me either of those things.