Islamic hate crime, or white nationalist hate crime?

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
Now expand on that, have media saturation of a problem almost no one has seen or encountered, and suddenly people have bogeyman to be afraid of. Instead of seeking facts they cling to this fear and apply it to thier lives. It's sad and a little scary to see how quickly people will fall into that same mentality of what they hate. Scapegoating others based on hype and propaganda, they cant find any actual white supremacists so they start calling anyone they disagree with one.
The bogeyman has changed over the years if you reflect on it. First is was black people, then after 911, Arabs, Now, we are scared of Hispanics and Russians. LOL The quote "We become what we hate" is ringing true and it is cloaked in hypocrisy. I am not afraid of skin heads, especially after seeing the one from Charlottesville bawl his eyes out on a U Tube video. LOL

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
The bogeyman has changed over the years if you reflect on it. First is was black people, then after 911, Arabs, Now, we are scared of Hispanics and Russians. LOL The quote "We become what we hate" is ringing true and it is cloaked in hypocrisy. I am not afraid of skin heads, especially after seeing the one from Charlottesville bawl his eyes out on a U Tube video. LOL

Its more than that, it's fear mongering whether its year of the shark, ebola, bird flu, and even skinheads, which real and most skinheads are not racist and in fact the whole style and much of the music is based on jamacian immigrants to england.

We were fear mongered into believing the vast minority of boneheads, (racist "skinheads") were the norm. But fearmongering pays.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
Its more than that, it's fear mongering whether its year of the shark, ebola, bird flu, and even skinheads, which real and most skinheads are not racist and in fact the whole style and much of the music is based on jamacian immigrants to england.

We were fear mongered into believing the vast minority of boneheads, (racist "skinheads") were the norm. But fearmongering pays.
Fear mongering affects your quality of life. If all you do, is sit in the house and read one article of puke after another, it is going to scare the crap out of you. Live and let live and enjoy your life and stop worrying about things outside of your driveway. The only time I get a little nervous is when I work a late shift downtown and the parking garage. I got spooked a few years back and it has not left me. Cleveland is car jack central these days and at my age, I am not sure I can take a beating over my car keys and lap top but it has not made me retire yet. A little temporary uneasiness is not going to drive me to stay in my house.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
Fear mongering affects your quality of life. If all you do, is sit in the house and read one article of puke after another, it is going to scare the crap out of you. Live and let live and enjoy your life and stop worrying about things outside of your driveway. The only time I get a little nervous is when I work a late shift downtown and the parking garage. I got spooked a few years back and it has not left me. Cleveland is car jack central these days and at my age, I am not sure I can take a beating over my car keys and lap top but it has not made me retire yet. A little temporary uneasiness is not going to drive me to stay in my house.

Tint your windows. Carjackers don't like the unknown. but you are right, you see so many people here trapped in a cycle of "Doom" and "Fear" over what they are being fed by the media.

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
Murder and Extremism in the United States in 2018

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, March 12, 2018. Corey Johnson, 17, killed a 13-year-old and severely injured two others in a stabbing spree during a sleepover. One victim was stabbed 32 times but survived. Johnson was charged as an adult with first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder. He had a long history of violent tendencies and extremist beliefs, including an interest in white supremacy. However, in the year before the attack he had become interested in radical Islam (and had even been reported to the FBI by local law enforcement). After his arrest, Johnson reportedly told investigators he had stabbed his victims “because of his Muslim faith.”26

The ADL has listed this as a white nationalist hate crime and not an Islamic hate crime. Do you agree with this assessment or do you think the ADL is salting the results?
Where did you see this listed as an example of a white nationalist hate crime? If you're talking about the murder and extremism report, then I don't believe the ADL did any reclassifying. You just misunderstood the report.

The report is supposed to be about all murders they consider linked to extremism. They point out in the discussion that most of the murders they include for 2018 were committed by white supremacists, but the list of examples is not intended as a list of white supremacist murders. It's meant to cover all the categories of extremism they track, including Islamic extremism. If you reread the list, you can note that two of the examples chosen were murders by Black nationalists.

If we're talking about a different list then just ignore that post.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
lol I'm sorry, but that guy is not a "Muslim". Just because he may have read some screwed up shit on the internet and then declared himself a part of a faith does not actually make him one.

He is a white Western guy who likely has never so much as actually read the Koran or any other holy book. Give me a break.

I can claim to be Buddhist tomorrow. Or Zoroastrian. It won't actually make me either of those things.
He could be a white supremacist claiming to be Muslim in order to give Muslims a bad name.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
Where did you see this listed as an example of a white nationalist hate crime? If you're talking about the murder and extremism report, then I don't believe the ADL did any reclassifying. You just misunderstood the report.
I remember this one disticntly when having this argument with I believe it was babba. This was the biggest "WTF" one of them all. I will try to find the thread. Hell I would be willing to call it a mistake. But it seems the OP article that spawned this thread, in the other thread, was using this one as a "white nationalist" example. They probably read the same thing I did before it was changed.

The report is supposed to be about all murders they consider linked to extremism. They point out in the discussion that most of the murders they include for 2018 were committed by white supremacists, but the list of examples is not intended as a list of white supremacist murders. It's meant to cover all the categories of extremism they track, including Islamic extremism. If you reread the list, you can note that two of the examples chosen were murders by Black nationalists.

If we're talking about a different list then just ignore that post.

You could be right that we are mixing conversations, my point is simple, it's not right to call something a hate crime or a bias crime that isn't. We don't call a jewish guy robbing a bodega a hate crime, a muslim guy, or any other groups crimes that have nothing to do with ideology, a crime of that group. It's far less offensive when it's done towards white supramacists, fuck those guys, but it's not correct to do so and when applied to any other group it's obvious why.

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
You could be right that we are mixing conversations, my point is simple, it's not right to call something a hate crime or a bias crime that isn't. We don't call a jewish guy robbing a bodega a hate crime, a muslim guy, or any other groups crimes that have nothing to do with ideology, a crime of that group. It's far less offensive when it's done towards white supramacists, fuck those guys, but it's not correct to do so and when applied to any other group it's obvious why.
I would agree with you that the ADL report is pretty meaningless, for this reason (quoting from their own report):

"Ideological motives appear to have played a primary or secondary role in 19 of the 50 extremist murders in 2018".

It's a list of murderers which the ADL found had some connection to an organisation or cause they consider extremist; without consideration as to the actual circumstances of the murder. I'm not sure I agree with them that this is a useful thing to track.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
I would agree with you that the ADL report is pretty meaningless, for this reason (quoting from their own report):

"Ideological motives appear to have played a primary or secondary role in 19 of the 50 extremist murders in 2018".

It's a list of murderers which the ADL found had some connection to an organisation or cause they consider extremist; without consideration as to the actual circumstances of the murder. I'm not sure I agree with them that this is a useful thing to track.

It's not unless you are the MSM or certain politicians, or posters here who can then mindlessly claim an increase in bias attacks.