Isn't it Ironic? Don't ya think?

Apr 2015
Boston
Transgender beats bathroom bill sponsor.

Like rain on your wedding day.

Danica Roem's Victory Over "Bathroom Bill" Sponsor Robert Marshall Is the Start of a Symbolic Shift in American Politics

Voting is an act of resistance,” activist Sarah Sophie Flicker wrote on her Instagram Tuesday evening. Several hours later, the results of this week’s off-year elections started to roll in. In Virginia, Democratic candidate Danica Roem became the first-ever openly transgender woman elected to that state's legislature, emerging victorious over Republican incumbent Robert Marshall. Another Democratic candidate from Virginia, Chris Hurst, was elected to the state’s House of Delegates. Ravi Bhalla became the first Sikh mayor in American history when he was elected in Hoboken, while running against five other candidates.
Perhaps the most powerful example comes from Virginia’s 13th District, where Roem, the first transgender candidate for the Virginia state legislature, beat Marshall. The 73-year-old Republican incumbent was the sponsor of the infamous so-called “bathroom bill,” a transphobic measure that “would have required people to use the restroom that corresponds with the gender on their original birth certificates,” according to the Washington Post, and was rejected earlier this year. Marshall, who served 13 terms, or 26 years, has described himself as the state’s “chief homophobe; during the campaign, he consistently referred to Roem by male pronouns and would not debate her. Roem, a former journalist and member of a metal band, nevertheless said at a victory party: “I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.”

Last edited:
Feb 2007
In my mind
Ironic? Indeed, and fucking hilarious.

Kudos to the good people of Virginia, who saw through the bullshit on this one, revealing the ugly hatred and bigotry of Marshall. Getting beat by a transgendered person must chap his hide a bit.