Israeli ‘Warning’ Shot Killed Two Boys in Gaza, Rights Groups Say

Sep 2012
SoCal
Just reporting, not offering an opinion due to lack of further information. From the last paragraph of the quote it does seem that this method of "warning" is not very "ethical".

Israeli ‘Warning’ Shot Killed Two Boys in Gaza, Rights Groups Say
An Israeli military tactic intended to spare civilians actually killed two Palestinian teenagers recently and needs to be viewed as a form of attack, not as the ethically responsible precautionary measure that Israel portrays it to be, two human rights groups said in a new report.

The tactic is referred to as “knocking on the roof,” a euphemism for hitting a building with loud but not terribly destructive munitions before switching to the powerful missiles or bombs meant to level it.

The report assembled crowdsourced video into a meticulous reconstruction of the killings of two teenage boys in an airstrike in July, on an unfinished high-rise in Gaza City, the first of four “roof-knocking” missiles meant to warn off civilians that instead killed them.

The bottom line, it concluded, was that an airstrike must not be considered a warning, and must conform to international humanitarian law requiring armies to take pains to identify legitimate targets and avoid harming civilians.

The report also accused the office of the Israel Defense Forces’ spokesman of “manipulating the truth” in choosing the images it publicized of the attack.

[…]

“Warning strikes are an essential part of the Israeli military’s claims to high ethical standards,” said Eyal Weizman, director of Forensic Architecture, which has also collaborated with The New York Times. “But such warnings are sometimes delivered with the same missiles that are used elsewhere to kill,” he said.

...MORE...

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
From the last paragraph of the quote it does seem that this method of "warning" is not very "ethical".
Nobody else in the world conducts warning strikes at all - yet Israel is expected to? More double standard...

Sep 2012
SoCal
Nobody else in the world conducts warning strikes at all - yet Israel is expected to? More double standard...
I didn't say that they are "supposed to", Ian. I merely remarked on the last paragraph. A "warning strike" that kills is not much of a "warning".

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Enough.

You want "double standard"?

My relatives back in Abkhazia can't have a fucking McDonald's in their town or an IKEA store or anything else, because of Western sanctions and restrictions on their "unrecognized" "de facto" country. While sanctions against Israel are "anti-Semitic" regardless what it does.

Cry me a fucking river, will you.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Apparently not. If you do not like being told about a double-standard versus Israel, then none should be posted.
You want "double standard"?

My relatives back in Abkhazia can't have a fucking McDonald's in their town or an IKEA store or anything else, because of Western sanctions and restrictions on their "unrecognized" "de facto" country.
Foreign policy is not the issue in this thread. Friday13 made an explicit claim, and I was contradicting her.
While sanctions against Israel are "anti-Semitic" regardless what it does.
Often, they are.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
A "warning strike" that kills is not much of a "warning".
Israel gives more of a warning than anyone else in the world - even, as far as I am aware, world history. It is considered by everyone else to be foolish to announce where you are going to attack. And in this instance, the deaths were accidental. You want to avoid accidental deaths in Gaza? Get them to stop making war on Jews.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Apparently not. If you do not like being told about a double-standard versus Israel, then none should be posted.

Foreign policy is not the issue in this thread. Friday13 made an explicit claim, and I was contradicting her.

Often, they are.
Sorry, still emotional from just writing a thread about Abkhazia: https://politicalhotwire.com/threads/engaging-with-unrecognised-de-facto-states.203542/

I am very passionate about my old homeland, you know. Just like you about Israel...

And, to be honest, it pisses me off, when I hear people talk about how anti-Semitic and whatnot it is to even call for sanctions and divestment from Israel, no matter for what reason.

While what is being done to Abkhazia and other places, simply because they are not allies of the US (in many ways precisely BECAUSE, certainly in Abkhazia's case, as I said in the thread, the West only pushes them away) is barely even discussed...

It's incredibly unfair and frustrating.