Israeli Archaeologists May Have Found Emmaus, Where Jesus Appeared After Crucifixion

Mar 2019
Texas
Archaeologists have uncovered the massive walls of a 2,200-year-old Hellenistic fortification that may have been built by the Seleucid general who defeated Judah the Maccabee, the famed Jewish leader at the center of the Hanukkah story. In an unexpected twist, the discovery could also help identify the location of the biblical town of Emmaus, where the Gospels say Jesus made his first appearance after being crucified and resurrected.

Since 2017, a Franco-Israeli expedition has been digging at Kiriath Yearim, a hill overlooking the approach to Jerusalem a few kilometers west of the city, next door to the town of Abu Ghosh. The site is mainly known for being the spot where the Ark of the Covenant was kept for 20 years before being taken to Jerusalem by King David, according to the Bible.

Indeed, much attention at the dig has focused on finds from the biblical period, namely a large earth platform surrounded by massive containment walls, which may have housed an Israelite cultic or administration center in the 8th-7th centuries B.C.E. But over the 2019 summer’s excavation, researchers uncovered evidence of at least two later phases at the site.

Israeli archaeologists may have found Emmaus, where Jesus appeared after crucifixion

Every time there’s an archaeological discovery like this it helps to verify biblical accounts.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Years after his death, Elvis was seen at Memphis International Airport, and multiple times in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

These places are real. You don't need an archaeologist to confirm that these locations are genuine.

However, the fact that the places exist does nothing to support the contention that Elvis did not die (permanently) on August 16, 1977.

Mar 2019
Texas
Years after his death, Elvis was seen at Memphis International Airport, and multiple times in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

These places are real. You don't need an archaeologist to confirm that these locations are genuine.

However, the fact that the places exist does nothing to support the contention that Elvis did not die (permanently) on August 16, 1977.

No need to be that way.

If you have something to contribute, please do so.

Jun 2014
United States

An excellent analogy.

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
No need to be that way.

Sometimes you contribute to a thread by disagreeing with it.

Think of it as your big chance to explain why you believe what you believe.

On the other hand, posters should be making a case for why they disagree, otherwise they're just trolling. Ignore those folks completely and they wander off to troll some other thread.

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
Biblical archaeology is very interesting. It's cool to find out exactly where these places in the Bible actually existed. But most people will never be convinced of the truth about Jesus and the Gospel.

Luke 16:19-31 New International Version (NIV)
The Rich Man and Lazarus
19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

Reactions: Hognoxious
Mar 2019
TN
My best friend ever, now dead, could control his own heart beat. He worked in a hospital. At the start of very new class of med students he'd be asked to come in and demonstrate this ability. There is a 20 year gap in the Jesus story. It has been theorized that he may have traveled east. Possibly into Asia where he would have certainly encountered the Buddhists. Some of his teachings have a similar ring to them. Even a short period of time studying with the Buddhists would have given Jesus the knowledge and ability to make himself appear dead, then reappear a few days later.

However just because the town exists doesn't mean Jesus was actually there. The oldest known text that make up the bible weren't written until 60 to 80 years after he supposedly died.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
No need to be that way.

I rather thought I did. You said in your OP “Every time there’s an archaeological discovery like this it helps to verify biblical accounts.”

I pointed out that your logic is faulty. The archeological discovery you describe is nothing more than a suspected location of a city mentioned in the Bible. While fascinating from an archeological perspective, it does nothing to “verify biblical accounts” beyond “the city existed.”

After all, we have a pretty good idea as to the location of Loch Ness. However, this information does nothing to verify accounts of cryptids in the deep waters.