Israeli Archaeologists May Have Found Emmaus, Where Jesus Appeared After Crucifixion

Mar 2019
Texas
I rather thought I did. You said in your OP “Every time there’s an archaeological discovery like this it helps to verify biblical accounts.”

I pointed out that your logic is faulty. The archeological discovery you describe is nothing more than a suspected location of a city mentioned in the Bible. While fascinating from an archeological perspective, it does nothing to “verify biblical accounts” beyond “the city existed.”

After all, we have a pretty good idea as to the location of Loch Ness. However, this information does nothing to verify accounts of cryptids in the deep waters.

Yeah, but how about not making a condescending remark for a change?

You seem to think that you are superior to everyone around you.

I can think of a few reasons why, but unlike you, I will be polite and keep them to myself.

When you act in a respectful manner, I will treat you the same way.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Yeah, but how about not making a condescending remark for a change?

You seem to think that you are superior to everyone around you.

I can think of a few reasons why, but unlike you, I will be polite and keep them to myself.

When you act in a respectful manner, I will treat you the same way.
My comment was not intended to be insulting or condescending. I picked another example of a famous individual who was known for being seen after his death.

That you put stock in one story but not another is your choice.

Mar 2019
Texas
Atheists use the EXACT same faith to disbelieve as Christians use to believe. Except we have historical documents and the Bible and ancient history toprove our case. Atheists have NOTHING but their angry faith in no God.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Atheists use the EXACT same faith to disbelieve as Christians use to believe. Except we have historical documents and the Bible and ancient history toprove our case. Atheists have NOTHING but their angry faith in no God.
Does the age of a story make it more likely that its contents are true? Do you believe that fictional storytelling is a modern form of art that did not exist thousands of years ago?

raj

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
Years after his death, Elvis was seen at Memphis International Airport, and multiple times in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

These places are real. You don't need an archaeologist to confirm that these locations are genuine.

However, the fact that the places exist does nothing to support the contention that Elvis did not die (permanently) on August 16, 1977.

O, ye of little faith.

Lordy mama.

Mar 2019
"US" of A
Archaeologists have uncovered the massive walls of a 2,200-year-old Hellenistic fortification that may have been built by the Seleucid general who defeated Judah the Maccabee, the famed Jewish leader at the center of the Hanukkah story. In an unexpected twist, the discovery could also help identify the location of the biblical town of Emmaus, where the Gospels say Jesus made his first appearance after being crucified and resurrected.

Since 2017, a Franco-Israeli expedition has been digging at Kiriath Yearim, a hill overlooking the approach to Jerusalem a few kilometers west of the city, next door to the town of Abu Ghosh. The site is mainly known for being the spot where the Ark of the Covenant was kept for 20 years before being taken to Jerusalem by King David, according to the Bible.

Indeed, much attention at the dig has focused on finds from the biblical period, namely a large earth platform surrounded by massive containment walls, which may have housed an Israelite cultic or administration center in the 8th-7th centuries B.C.E. But over the 2019 summer’s excavation, researchers uncovered evidence of at least two later phases at the site.

Israeli archaeologists may have found Emmaus, where Jesus appeared after crucifixion

Every time there’s an archaeological discovery like this it helps to verify biblical accounts.
Long live the eurocentric male dominator god and his religion which state you are damaged goods simply for having been born; submit yourself to Him and his most righteous middlemen.

Nov 2018
Maryland
There will be nothing offered that will be enough to convince unbelievers to believe in Christ and his Resurrection. The fact that the bible explains how there were many eye witnesses who saw and spoke to Christ after his Resurrection and who saw him taken up into the clouds, is not believed by sceptics.

It takes Faith to believe the Bible and many refuse to believe the Greatest Story Ever Told, because they want visible proof -- something that cannot be offered to them, as Christ lived and died over 2,000 years ago.

As Christians, we believe that when archeologist find places that many sceptics didn't believe existed, it adds weight to the truth of the scriptures. But, as I said, you cannot prove these things happened, because there is nobody today who knew the earthly Christ.

Does Archaeology Support the Bible? A Look at the Evidence
Does Archaeology Support the Bible? A Look at the Evidence
These finds continue to provide substantial support of the Bible's written record. Some of the finds include Belshazzar, King Darius, and King Cyrus' being mentioned by name. What were once thought to be mythological empires mentioned in the Old Testament, like the Hittite's, have been found to have existed after all.

Blues63

Dec 2014
Mustafa
Archaeologists have uncovered the massive walls of a 2,200-year-old Hellenistic fortification that may have been built by the Seleucid general who defeated Judah the Maccabee, the famed Jewish leader at the center of the Hanukkah story. In an unexpected twist, the discovery could also help identify the location of the biblical town of Emmaus, where the Gospels say Jesus made his first appearance after being crucified and resurrected.

Since 2017, a Franco-Israeli expedition has been digging at Kiriath Yearim, a hill overlooking the approach to Jerusalem a few kilometers west of the city, next door to the town of Abu Ghosh. The site is mainly known for being the spot where the Ark of the Covenant was kept for 20 years before being taken to Jerusalem by King David, according to the Bible.

Indeed, much attention at the dig has focused on finds from the biblical period, namely a large earth platform surrounded by massive containment walls, which may have housed an Israelite cultic or administration center in the 8th-7th centuries B.C.E. But over the 2019 summer’s excavation, researchers uncovered evidence of at least two later phases at the site.

Israeli archaeologists may have found Emmaus, where Jesus appeared after crucifixion

Every time there’s an archaeological discovery like this it helps to verify biblical accounts.
'May have' will be marketed as 'is' no doubt by those with an vested interest in Biblical tourism.

These discoveries only prove the geography of the Bible and in no way prove the mythological component of the texts. Furthermore, no one has ever claimed that the texts are completely false. Well no one who can research the subject objectively. We know Pilatus existed; we Know Herod the Great existed; we know Quirinius was governor of Syria upon the death of Antipas etc.. so the historicity of some events and places isn't really in question, for if these components were false, the texts would not have gained such momentum in the Roman world.

The texts become questionable when they ask us to suspend our disbelief and accept claimed events based upon hearsay that defy the laws of nature.

Last edited: