Israeli Archaeologists May Have Found Emmaus, Where Jesus Appeared After Crucifixion

Blues63

Dec 2014
Mustafa
Isn't it possible that SOMETHING happened back then?
Sure, I feel the evidence suggests that Yeshuah was tried for sedition and that his body was removed by his followers (perhaps bribing the Roman auxiliaries). Later, Paulus revived the cult and it grew into what it is today.

I believe that evidence was found that Pontius Pilate really existed. If a myth ,who STARTED it?
Indeed, the ruins of the Aqueduct in Caesarea bear an inscription denoting Pontius Pilatus built the structure. He issued coins during his tenure as Procurator of Judea (27-37 AD.) and we know he was recalled to Rome in disgrace to face charges of brutality. He later died in shame in Gaul.

However, there is the historical Pilatus and the mythological (cf. the non-canonical Gospel of Nicodemus (Acts of Pilate).

Gospel of Nicodemus - Wikipedia

As to the mythological Christ, it is possible, and indeed probable that Paulus is responsible for the mythological Christ. However, this is my opinion based upon probability to extrapolate from the dearth of evidence.

Reactions: Panzareta and Djinn
Nov 2018
Maryland
Most historical events have corroborating evidence, through physical evidence or contemporary supporting texts. The mythological (as opposed to the historical) Jesus has no such evidence. We know so much about Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great owing to a wealth of evidence, and we can discern the factual from the mythological in both cases (yes, Julius ascended into heaven according to Roman tradition ~ sound familiar?). We do not have primary, contemporary source material for the mythological Jesus and all external sources to the Biblical anthology do not support the mythological component.

So, all we have are secondary accounts based upon hearsay which demand the reader suspends a belief in the laws of nature. That is hardly valid evidence of anything.

The Roman historian, Josephus, also wrote about Jesus.

The NT itself is a historical record, and the Apostles, who wrote the Gospels, were eye witnesses and were with Jesus in the last years of his life on earth.

Blues63

Dec 2014
Mustafa
Last edited:
Reactions: Panzareta

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
... The NT itself is a historical record, and the Apostles, who wrote the Gospels, were eye witnesses and were with Jesus in the last years of his life on earth.
As I mentioned much earlier on this thread, it's not difficult to find "eye witnesses" for any number of suspect claims, including people claiming to have seen Elvis walking around after his death. And bear in mind - those testifying to have been witness to Jesus' miracles had a personal vested interest in promoting Jesus' divinity. After all, if you can convince people that you were personally chosen by the earthly Son of God, that carries a considerable measure of prestige.

Those claiming to have seen Elvis did so for nothing more than a few minutes of local fame.

Nov 2018
Maryland
As I mentioned much earlier on this thread, it's not difficult to find "eye witnesses" for any number of suspect claims, including people claiming to have seen Elvis walking around after his death. And bear in mind - those testifying to have been witness to Jesus' miracles had a personal vested interest in promoting Jesus' divinity. After all, if you can convince people that you were personally chosen by the earthly Son of God, that carries a considerable measure of prestige.

Those claiming to have seen Elvis did so for nothing more than a few minutes of local fame.
Those who made claim on Jesus's miracles were not vested in being tortured and murdered, even though they knew that was the likely outcome of their preaching what Jesus had commanded them. You can, of course, claim they were on a suicide mission, but these men were not crazy lunatics. Luke, was a physician. Peter was a fisherman. I doubt if any of these Apostles would die for a lie.

Of course, as I have said before, there is no proof good enough to prove the scriptures are God's Word, and that Jesus was the Son of God. It requires faith.

Jun 2014
United States
The Roman historian, Josephus, also wrote about Jesus.

The NT itself is a historical record, and the Apostles, who wrote the Gospels, were eye witnesses and were with Jesus in the last years of his life on earth.

The Apostles didn't write the NT, unless they wrote it after they were all dead and gone.

Reactions: Panzareta
Jun 2014
United States
Wrong! Paul met Jesus on the road to Damascus. Recorded in the Books of Acts.

Yeah, that's what Paul said, but Jesus was already dead when Paul went to Damascus, and Paul's religion had little in common with the Judaism that was practiced by Jesus.