Israeli Archaeologists May Have Found Emmaus, Where Jesus Appeared After Crucifixion

Jun 2014
United States
Fair enough. I don't see any reason to believe the supernatural nature of these tales. I feel that many believe without question owing to the weight of history, that is, all the believers that went before, and the fact they were born into the culture that believes. If we were presented with these stories afresh, without the weight of history most would dismiss them as fantasies.

True. Antiquity equals veracity in the minds of many. For instance, some might look askance at Mormonism, and reject Scientology out of hand, but in all honesty, no religion is any more or less absurd than is any other, no matter how long the religion in question happens to have been around.

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
Yeah, but how about not making a condescending remark for a change?

You seem to think that you are superior to everyone around you.

I can think of a few reasons why, but unlike you, I will be polite and keep them to myself.

When you act in a respectful manner, I will treat you the same way.
That was an entirely uncalled for attack upon a member of long standing who has been conspicuous by the courtesy and logic inherent in his posts.

And speaking of acting in a respectful manner - your posts do not spring to mind as primary exemplars thereof.

As for the case you make in the OP - better minds than mine have given you reasons why the existence of material sites mentioned therein are of no relevance to popular myths. E.g: The Red Sea exists to this day, but there is no hieroglyphic or archeological evidence that it parted, and drowned the entire Egyptian armed forces - no metal or other remnants of chariots, etc. have ever been detected.

A similar dearth of written or material evidence exists in respect of the Seven Plagues of Egypt. The Ark and the flooding of the entire earth (including the 29,000 ft Mt Everest) - the Ten Commandments (conveniently broken and disposed of with no trace) - and even more modern hallucinatory religious phenomena such as the Miracle of Fatima, which involved the sun and other celestial bodies careening about the sky - merited no confirmation by observatories around the world.

I respect the spiritual beliefs of everyone - including your good self - but I believe it is prudent to keep such faith to oneself. Anyone who chooses to air what others may view as unsubstantiated mythology, should be prepared to have those myths politely questioned.

Nov 2008
Washington state
Years after his death, Elvis was seen at Memphis International Airport, and multiple times in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

These places are real. You don't need an archaeologist to confirm that these locations are genuine.

However, the fact that the places exist does nothing to support the contention that Elvis did not die (permanently) on August 16, 1977.
What’s your point? this town has historical significance to a religious person. Why does that bother you? To MichelleZ and other religious people it’s important . If its not important to you don’t harass others that think its important. She is being very civil here, why can’t you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nov 2008
Washington state
That was an entirely uncalled for attack upon a member of long standing who has been conspicuous by the courtesy and logic inherent in his posts.

And speaking of acting in a respectful manner - your posts do not spring to mind as primary exemplars thereof.

As for the case you make in the OP - better minds than mine have given you reasons why the existence of material sites mentioned therein are of no relevance to popular myths. E.g: The Red Sea exists to this day, but there is no hieroglyphic or archeological evidence that it parted, and drowned the entire Egyptian armed forces - no metal or other remnants of chariots, etc. have ever been detected.

A similar dearth of written or material evidence exists in respect of the Seven Plagues of Egypt. The Ark and the flooding of the entire earth (including the 29,000 ft Mt Everest) - the Ten Commandments (conveniently broken and disposed of with no trace) - and even more modern hallucinatory religious phenomena such as the Miracle of Fatima, which involved the sun and other celestial bodies careening about the sky - merited no confirmation by observatories around the world.

I respect the spiritual beliefs of everyone - including your good self - but I believe it is prudent to keep such faith to oneself. Anyone who chooses to air what others may view as unsubstantiated mythology, should be prepared to have those myths politely questioned.
She attacked no one, in fact she is way more civil then I would have been. Everyone that has offended her should apologize for being disrespectful towards her religious beliefs.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
This town has historical significance to a religious person.
That is not what she said. What she said was:
Every time there’s an archaeological discovery like this it helps to verify biblical accounts.
That statement is not true, and Djinn pointed that out.
She is being very civil here, why can’t you?
Djinn was extremely civil in his post. Michelle was not in her post #11.
Everyone that has offended her should apologize for being disrespectful towards her religious beliefs.
No one has been disrespectful toward her religious beliefs. She made a factual claim that has no basis in fact. If that fact offends either of you, no one can help you with that. The reality is that discovering an historical place does nothing to verify supernatural claims.

Nov 2008
Washington state
That is not what she said. What she said was:

That statement is not true, and Djinn pointed that out.

Djinn was extremely civil in his post. Michelle was not in her post #11.

No one has been disrespectful toward her religious beliefs. She made a factual claim that has no basis in fact. If that fact offends either of you, no one can help you with that. The reality is that discovering an historical place does nothing to verify supernatural claims.
It has historical significance to her religion, read it again. She is not trying to prove anything to you or anyone else. To those that read the Bible it is significant this town was discovered and it supports the story. Why you ( a supposed Jew) would be bothered by this Discovery is troublesome. Are you trying to disprove all you claim to know about your religion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
She attacked no one, in fact she is way more civil then I would have been.
I'm not entirely sure that would have been a remarkable achievement.

Everyone that has offended her should apologize for being disrespectful towards her religious beliefs.
Nobody, anywhere, is obliged to be respectful towards anyone's beliefs - religious or otherwise. Respect is earned, not mandated, and most people are respectful towards the views of people who earn that respect by means of their demeanour, and the quality of their interaction with others.

Which does not mean that I do not respect the lady's right to hold any spiritual beliefs her intellect will sustain - in fact I would be prepared to defend that right - but none of us has the right to expect others to share our beliefs. Politesse, more often than not, guides our reactions to unsubstantiated religious claims - and that is as well for social reasons. But a demand for unqualified respect will often earn one the opposite sentiment.

Blues63

Dec 2014
Mustafa
It has historical significance to her religion, read it again. She is not trying to prove anything to you or anyone else. To those that read the Bible it is significant this town was discovered and it supports the story. Why you ( a supposed Jew) would be bothered by this Discovery is troublesome. Are you trying to disprove all you claim to know about your religion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try reading the content of the thread again, and this time, read for comprehension and not simply to exercise feigned victimhood. In addition, what's with the personal attack ('a supposed Jew' etc.)? Ian is simply pointing that which is obvious to the rest of us and any perceived slight against the OP is YOUR problem, not anyone else's. Think about what is going on and refrain from reacting on such a base level.

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
Try reading the content of the thread again, and this time, read for comprehension and not simply to exercise feigned victimhood. In addition, what's with the personal attack ('a supposed Jew' etc.)? Ian is simply pointing that which is obvious to the rest of us and any perceived slight against the OP is YOUR problem, not anyone else's. Think about what is going on and refrain from reacting on such a base level.
Thank you - I don't know about Ian (he is likely more mature than I about such matters) but I found the epithet 'a supposed Jew' to be more than somewhat offensive.