Israeli Archaeologists May Have Found Emmaus, Where Jesus Appeared After Crucifixion

Blues63

Dec 2014
Tatooine
Thank you - I don't know about Ian (he is likely more mature than I about such matters) but I found the epithet 'a supposed Jew' to be more than somewhat offensive.

I did too, and the question itself borders on anti-Semitism. When it comes to discussing the logic behind a claim, why does it matter?

May 2007
your place
Atheists use the EXACT same faith to disbelieve as Christians use to believe. Except we have historical documents and the Bible and ancient history toprove our case. Atheists have NOTHING but their angry faith in no God.

Ricky Gervais says that there are 3,000 different gods that various people believe in and he just believes in one less of those gods than you do.

Nov 2008
Washington state
Try reading the content of the thread again, and this time, read for comprehension and not simply to exercise feigned victimhood. In addition, what's with the personal attack ('a supposed Jew' etc.)? Ian is simply pointing that which is obvious to the rest of us and any perceived slight against the OP is YOUR problem, not anyone else's. Think about what is going on and refrain from reacting on such a base level.
I simply stated the OPs point. Most have twisted that point as a means of trying to prove Jesus was there and the Ark was there. Discovering this lost city was proof the city actually existed as stated in the Bible. To MichelleZ that confirms historical significance that town existed. The Rude people on this thread triangulated this to mean this shows proof the Ark and Christ was there. No way was that the intention, the OP confirmed the town exist. Why a supposed religious Jew opposes the discovery of a town spoken of in their book baffles me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 2013
NY
I simply stated the OPs point. Most have twisted that point as a means of trying to prove Jesus was there and the Ark was there. Discovering this lost city was proof the city actually existed as stated in the Bible. To MichelleZ that confirms historical significance that town existed. The Rude people on this thread triangulated this to mean this shows proof the Ark and Christ was there. No way was that the intention, the OP confirmed the town exist. Why a supposed religious Jew opposes the discovery of a town spoken of in their book baffles me.
How is "proof" for anything that is stated "in the bible" even necessary for a Christian ?
Isn't faith enough ? How come you get excited about the proof of the existence of a city (which no one has ever denied could or would have existed in the first place), but when someone asks you for the proof of god's existence itself.. that is then inappropriate ?

Nov 2008
Washington state
How is "proof" for anything that is stated "in the bible" even necessary for a Christian ?
Isn't faith enough ? How come you get excited about the proof of the existence of a city (which no one has ever denied could or would have existed in the first place), but when someone asks you for the proof of god's existence itself.. that is then inappropriate ?
The OP never stated discovering the city was proof God exists. It simply stated a city in the Bible was discovered. It just confirms a city named in the Bible exist that had been non existent for a long time. Why Atheist/Secularist lose their minds when this happens baffles me. Why does a God that doesn’t exist in their minds make them upset?

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset

The OP and the thread title conflated a few old rocks and a miracle as if one were proof of the other. Do you live in MZ's head to know so intimately what the troll meant?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
It has historical significance to her religion, read it again.
I did read it - apparently better than you did.
She is not trying to prove anything to you or anyone else.
She asserted a fact. She was wrong.
To those that read the Bible it is significant this town was discovered and it supports the story.
No, it does not.
Why you ( a supposed Jew) would be bothered by this Discovery is troublesome.
I am not bothered by the discovery. I am saying that MichelleZ's assertion is wrong. And your "supposed Jew" comment is highly offensive.
Are you trying to disprove all you claim to know about your religion?
Xian theology has nothing to do with the Jewish religion.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Archaeologists have uncovered the massive walls of a 2,200-year-old Hellenistic fortification that may have been built by the Seleucid general who defeated Judah the Maccabee, the famed Jewish leader at the center of the Hanukkah story. In an unexpected twist, the discovery could also help identify the location of the biblical town of Emmaus, where the Gospels say Jesus made his first appearance after being crucified and resurrected.

Since 2017, a Franco-Israeli expedition has been digging at Kiriath Yearim, a hill overlooking the approach to Jerusalem a few kilometers west of the city, next door to the town of Abu Ghosh. The site is mainly known for being the spot where the Ark of the Covenant was kept for 20 years before being taken to Jerusalem by King David, according to the Bible.

Indeed, much attention at the dig has focused on finds from the biblical period, namely a large earth platform surrounded by massive containment walls, which may have housed an Israelite cultic or administration center in the 8th-7th centuries B.C.E. But over the 2019 summer’s excavation, researchers uncovered evidence of at least two later phases at the site.

Israeli archaeologists may have found Emmaus, where Jesus appeared after crucifixion

Every time there’s an archaeological discovery like this it helps to verify biblical accounts.
I think they've also discovered the topic of the next season of "Ancients Aliens" as well.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Why a supposed religious Jew opposes the discovery of a town spoken of in their book baffles me.
I do not "oppose the discovery" of anything. That does not even make sense. You should read my posts again, for comprehension this time.

Not to mention your use of the term "supposed religious Jew" is highly offensive and borders on the antisemitic.

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
What’s your point? this town has historical significance to a religious person. Why does that bother you? To MichelleZ and other religious people it’s important . If its not important to you don’t harass others that think its important. She is being very civil here, why can’t you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Glenfinnan viaduct has historical significance to Harry Potter followers and rail buffs too, Architects, engineers and steam fanatics all find it important. Respect their enthusiasms.