Israeli Cancer Cure / BDS

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Two topics for the price of one!

A Jerusalem Post report states that a group of Israeli scientists said it believes it is on the verge of finding a cure for cancer. The article, published Monday, focused on the company Accelerated Evolution Biotechnologies Ltd. (AEBi).

"We believe we will offer in a year's time a complete cure for cancer," Dan Aridor, the company's Chairman of the Board, is quoted as saying in the article.

The report states the company's treatment called, "MuTaTo (multi-target toxin) is essentially on the scale of a cancer antibiotic - a disruption technology of the highest order."
Pick your source. I used this one.

Of course, doctors are skeptical. This could very easily be another "cold fusion" promise, such as the one many of us remember from 1989. Whether or not this announcement will evolve into game-changing news the next few years is one subject.

The other subject concerns the BDS Movement, which many individuals use to punish Israel for its actions in the Middle East. I'm NOT interested in discussing (here) whether BDS is justified. However, if it turns out that the Israeli biomedical researchers' claims are valid, and we DO wind up with a game-changing cancer treatment developed in Israel by Israeli researchers, how will BDS supporters respond when they or loved ones are diagnosed with cancer? Will they stick to their convictions, even in the face of death? Or will they qualify their convictions in the face of saving their own lives?

Given that BDS supporters seem to have little problem supporting Microsoft, Facebook, Google, Cisco, Intel, Oracle, etc. (all of which have R&D in Israel), I'm inclined to think they'll just add this cancer treatment to their existing list of "convenient exceptions."

Thoughts?

Jun 2014
United States
My thoughts?

I absolutely don't believe the claim that any researchers are one year away from a universal cure for cancer. That's bullshit.

As for boycotts, I don't typically participate in them and I really couldn't care less whether or not others do.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
I don't think it is a far stretch to see a cure for cancer in the near future. We have made great strides so far in treatment and early diagnosis. We are also seeing longer remission periods in cancer. I felt hopeful with the emergence of immunotherapy and cancer centers. They have a high rate of success. Cuba has also introduced a vaccine that is showing hope. I would also trust the research stemming from Israel. They are educated and many of them are physicians. They also have the resources to move toward a cure.

As far as convenient exceptions, BDS would go out the window if a loved one of a person who supports BDS had a chance to survive. Hypocrisy runs rampant in the US. Kudos to Israel for moving forward with this important research and too bad it is not the US who is doing it. The US is busy being stuck on stupid to think beyond their nose at this point. The US should partner with Israel with funding and talent. Imagine how wonderful it would be to know that cancer can be cured in the future.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I hope there is something to it as well ... I think everyone does. But there is reason to be skeptical, as always. The OP makes a valid point, but it is very speculative.

Feb 2015
sadness
as with all cancer "cures"....... I hope for the best but prepare for worst. These things are always a wait and see. 20 years out and its still good..... GREAT!!!!

Feb 2015
sadness
I don't think it is a far stretch to see a cure for cancer in the near future. We have made great strides so far in treatment and early diagnosis. We are also seeing longer remission periods in cancer. I felt hopeful with the emergence of immunotherapy and cancer centers. They have a high rate of success. Cuba has also introduced a vaccine that is showing hope. I would also trust the research stemming from Israel. They are educated and many of them are physicians. They also have the resources to move toward a cure.

As far as convenient exceptions, BDS would go out the window if a loved one of a person who supports BDS had a chance to survive. Hypocrisy runs rampant in the US. Kudos to Israel for moving forward with this important research and too bad it is not the US who is doing it. The US is busy being stuck on stupid to think beyond their nose at this point. The US should partner with Israel with funding and talent. Imagine how wonderful it would be to know that cancer can be cured in the future.
I 100% agree... its all BAD until they require said bad for themselves or loved ones.

Mar 2010
Indiana
I don't a see a cure-all for "cancer" as there are so many kinds, and as far as I understand from the limited medical training I had, it's the victims own body's cells going haywire. However I'm not saying it's not possible.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
I don't a see a cure-all for "cancer" as there are so many kinds, and as far as I understand from the limited medical training I had, it's the victims own body's cells going haywire. However I'm not saying it's not possible.
I have no medical training but I think the problem is the body's immune system does'nt reognise the cancer as an enemy to be attacked.
Figure that out and we've go it knocked.