Israeli election too close to call

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Looks like neither will get a majority.

Exit polls show Israel’s election producing a dramatic deadlock, with neither Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu nor former military chief Benny Gantz able to easily form a government.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Not sure how it all works, but news is saying Pres Rivlin will get to decide or it goes to another ballot.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Looks like neither will get a majority.

Exit polls show Israel’s election producing a dramatic deadlock, with neither Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu nor former military chief Benny Gantz able to easily form a government.
The idea by one of the smaller parties was to try to force a unity government that would be limited to centrists and would exclude the more extreme parties.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The idea by one of the smaller parties was to try to force a unity government that would be limited to centrists and would exclude the more extreme parties.
Was watching news earlier and they were talking about how Lieberman and Rivlin might get final say. Although apparently a huge point of contention is they want ultra Orthodox to serve in the military but Netanyahu has said no. They are saying thats going to be a fight.

Reactions: DairyHeiress
May 2019
A Van Down by the River...
Was watching news earlier and they were talking about how Lieberman and Rivlin might get final say. Although apparently a huge point of contention is they want ultra Orthodox to serve in the military but Netanyahu has said no. They are saying thats going to be a fight.
I knew about this election, and know about some of Bibi's troubles, but if not for good ol' PBS I wouldn't know diddly about Lieberman.
Still not enough info to speak fluently in Israeli politics, but gotta say that I hope Bibi bites the dust.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
l hope Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu loses and another party takes over. l don't like the current stance on the settlements.
Dont both leading parties have the same stance on the settlements? I was under the impression that the Gantz party is a center right one while Netanyahu is a further right one.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
I have to agree with Lieberman on this one... the country has mandatory military service for all Jewish Israelis - regardless of gender. I dislike the idea of exemptions for any reason short of genuine* medical exemptions.

* No magical disappearing bone spurs.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Was watching news earlier and they were talking about how Lieberman and Rivlin might get final say.
More Lieberman, depending on how he spreads his support around.
Although apparently a huge point of contention is they want ultra Orthodox to serve in the military but Netanyahu has said no.
This is a rather complex issue that is not really about the Haredi per se.