It Is Insane That America Allows Trump By Himself To Set Tariffs

Jan 2016
Colorado
A tariff is a tax. Even Grover Norquist says so.

An increase in any other federal tax------whether the income tax rate, or the Social Security tax, or the gasoline tax------would have to pass both houses of Congress, and be signed by the President, before it could become law.

So why the HELL do we allow the President, on his OWN, to set tariff rates?

I say that doing so is simply insane.

It is no different than it would be to allow the President on his own to decide what income tax rates should be for the country.

If you remember, shortly before he left the Senate, Tennessee Republican Senator Bob Corker wanted to strip the President of this crazy 'sole authority' to raise tariffs as a supposed matter of national security. But the rest of the Republican Party rallied around the President, and snarled at Corker, leading him to say that "You can't poke the bear!", and saying that the Republican Party had devolved into a weird personality cult centered around Trump.

NO President should have the unilateral authority to set tariff rates. Congress should strip the President of this authority. There are a LOT of Republicans who realize that the President is abusing this power, which he should never have had in the first place. Take it away from him.

May 2012
By the wall
When congress was running the tariffs it was a complete mess and really hurt the economy.

Basically they sucked and not just for a short time but for pretty much the entire time up until FDR.

It became a tool of corruption for congress and they ended up using that power more for political gain then anything to do with actual trade which falls under presidential authority.

The last time Congress actually imposed a tariff was under Hoover and it absolutely made the depression even worse which ushered in FDR to the presidency.

One of his first acts as president was to get the congress to delegate that authority to the executive branch, namely himself, because they had shown that they couldn't deal with it.

They basically threw up their hands and told him to take that responsibility from them, which he gladly did, and the president has had it ever since.

I mean when I say congress was bad with tariffs I mean they were really bad, even the founding fathers were bitching at them about it and even Washington got involved to correct their mistakes at the very beginning.

If you think Trump is messing up tariffs now, just wait and see what happens when congress takes that power back.

I am all for stripping the president of some power but definitely not on tariffs.

Jul 2011
Tennessee

An increase in any other federal tax------whether the income tax rate, or the Social Security tax, or the gasoline tax------would have to pass both houses of Congress, and be signed by the President, before it could become law.

It is no different than it would be to allow the President on his own to decide what income tax rates should be for the country.

If you remember, shortly before he left the Senate, Tennessee Republican Senator Bob Corker wanted to strip the President of this crazy 'sole authority' to raise tariffs as a supposed matter of national security. But the rest of the Republican Party rallied around the President, and snarled at Corker, leading him to say that "You can't poke the bear!", and saying that the Republican Party had devolved into a weird personality cult centered around Trump.

NO President should have the unilateral authority to set tariff rates. Congress should strip the President of this authority. There are a LOT of Republicans who realize that the President is abusing this power, which he should never have had in the first place. Take it away from him.
Because it's Trump.

Reactions: Slartibartfast
Mar 2019
DE, US

It's not insane, it's done by design. It's really rather simple, you pass a tax cut that mostly benefits the rich, then tax the citizens of your country by increasing the prices of the goods they buy. You put money in one hand and take it out of the other. It works well when you have a country so stupid, they will believe logic that's complicated, but it only works for awhile. Once you inflate the goods, the FED has to step in. It's the law and their job to not over-stimulate the economy. They'll raise interest rates.

Btw, the FED was started by Republicans after the 1907 crash, but it's easy to blame it on the Dems. The people in our country are too stupid to figure out even simple lies coming from tRump.

Reactions: Hollywood
Mar 2019
DE, US
When congress was running the tariffs it was a complete mess and really hurt the economy.

Basically they sucked and not just for a short time but for pretty much the entire time up until FDR.

It became a tool of corruption for congress and they ended up using that power more for political gain then anything to do with actual trade which falls under presidential authority.

The last time Congress actually imposed a tariff was under Hoover and it absolutely made the depression even worse which ushered in FDR to the presidency.

One of his first acts as president was to get the congress to delegate that authority to the executive branch, namely himself, because they had shown that they couldn't deal with it.

They basically threw up their hands and told him to take that responsibility from them, which he gladly did, and the president has had it ever since.

I mean when I say congress was bad with tariffs I mean they were really bad, even the founding fathers were bitching at them about it and even Washington got involved to correct their mistakes at the very beginning.

If you think Trump is messing up tariffs now, just wait and see what happens when congress takes that power back.

I am all for stripping the president of some power but definitely not on tariffs.
I quoted you and it was lost in posting. You said: "even the founding fathers were bitching at them about it"

Which founding father was alive around 1929?

Reactions: Friday13
Nov 2015
UK

Tariffs are there for regulation. It's to make those imports look less attractive for consumers. You have a country with a lower standard of living undermining your own economy due to cheap labour and inferior products. I believe historical, America has always ran a huge trade deficit. You finally have a president that has said, "Hang on, we need a fairer trade playing field and cut this deficit" and you're not happy? Simply, it's just another bash Trump thread.

Mar 2019
DE, US
Tariffs are there for regulation. It's to make those imports look less attractive for consumers. You have a country with a lower standard of living undermining your own economy due to cheap labour and inferior products. I believe historical, America has always ran a huge trade deficit. You finally have a president that has said, "Hang on, we need a fairer trade playing field and cut this deficit" and you're not happy? Simply, it's just another bash Trump thread.
Have you ever heard of trade agreements? I've read them and they can be found on the internet.