'It makes me enjoy playing with the kids': is microdosing mushrooms going mainstream?

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
'It makes me enjoy playing with the kids': is microdosing mushrooms going mainstream?

Rosie has just returned from the school run. She drops a bag of groceries on to her kitchen table, and reaches for a clear plastic cup, covered by a white hanky and sealed with a hairband. Inside is a grey powder; her finely ground homegrown magic mushrooms.

“I’ll take a very small dose, every three or four days,” she says, weighing out a thumbnail of powder on digital jewellery scales, purchased for their precision. “People take well over a gram recreationally. I weigh out about 0.12g and then just swallow it, like any food. It gives me an alertness, an assurance. I move from a place of anxiety to a normal state of confidence, not overconfidence.”

Over the last 12 months, I have been hearing the same story from a small but increasing number of women. At parties and even at the school gates, they have told me about a new secret weapon that is boosting their productivity at work, improving their parenting and enhancing their relationships. Not clean-eating or mindfulness but microdosing – taking doses of psychedelic drugs so tiny they are considered to be “subperceptual”. In other words, says Rosie: “You don’t feel high, just… better.”

So anyone here “microdose”? Thinking it needs to marinate on more science but Ive seen it help people with ptsd, anecdotally.

Dec 2018
Florida

Rosie has just returned from the school run. She drops a bag of groceries on to her kitchen table, and reaches for a clear plastic cup, covered by a white hanky and sealed with a hairband. Inside is a grey powder; her finely ground homegrown magic mushrooms.

“I’ll take a very small dose, every three or four days,” she says, weighing out a thumbnail of powder on digital jewellery scales, purchased for their precision. “People take well over a gram recreationally. I weigh out about 0.12g and then just swallow it, like any food. It gives me an alertness, an assurance. I move from a place of anxiety to a normal state of confidence, not overconfidence.”

Over the last 12 months, I have been hearing the same story from a small but increasing number of women. At parties and even at the school gates, they have told me about a new secret weapon that is boosting their productivity at work, improving their parenting and enhancing their relationships. Not clean-eating or mindfulness but microdosing – taking doses of psychedelic drugs so tiny they are considered to be “subperceptual”. In other words, says Rosie: “You don’t feel high, just… better.”

So anyone here “microdose”? Thinking it needs to marinate on more science but Ive seen it help people with ptsd, anecdotally.
No. Fuck me. What is wrong with people? Goddamn just deal with your problems like an adult. Stop making excuses for your opiates or your nicotine or alcohol. I know. Life can be stressful between picking up kids and those nice parties. Our body isn’t designed for that kind of stress. It is designed for stress like getting chased by a fuckin tiger.

Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
No. Fuck me. What is wrong with people? Goddamn just deal with your problems like an adult. Stop making excuses for your opiates or your nicotine or alcohol. I know. Life can be stressful between picking up kids and those nice parties. Our body isn’t designed for that kind of stress. It is designed for stress like getting chased by a fuckin tiger.
Well, if you are getting chased by a tiger, you had better outrun your friend. (If travelling alone, you are probably in trouble.) Our bodies are designed for us to think our way out of such problems, not simply run away. The larger problem is that we have created a society that too many people cannot stand to be in (without a viable alternative).

Dec 2013
Work
Wait a second... we are designed to handle stress like being chased by a tiger blood coursing with adrenaline and endorphins, but we can't handle microdosing?

I've never microdosed, mostly because every single one of the handful of times (almost 30 years ago) I regular size dosed, I vowed never to do it again. Not because it was bad, just because you basically don't sleep that night and then the next day is hell.

Microdosing? Not for me, but it seems like a cure for a problem I don't think I have. I don't feel too stressed, un-alert, or un-confident. Sounds to me like a trend made up by people who wanted to sell mushrooms to bored but relatively successful 40somethings. I've heard that psychedelic drugs are being found useful for similar problems, even treatment of opiate addiction, but the research is pretty new, and I suspect the number of pseudoscience studies of them muddies the water.

Dec 2018
Florida
Well, if you are getting chased by a tiger, you had better outrun your friend. (If travelling alone, you are probably in trouble.) Our bodies are designed for us to think our way out of such problems, not simply run away. The larger problem is that we have created a society that too many people cannot stand to be in (without a viable alternative).
I would say we have created a society where people don’t appreciate what they have. I’m a young unmarried working class man. I have a girlfriend. We have lots of condoms. I have access to limitless types of entertainment all on a phone, dogs, guns, and access to hunting and fishing. I have access to all manner of food and easy cooking materials. I’m hardly unique.

100 years ago? My life wouldn’t even be remotely as good. 200? Far worse. Idk. I just have low sympathy for people who do stuff like that. Reminds me of this girl I knew who smoked pot for her anxiety. What she never grasped is that you are supposed to feel SOME stress. Not smoke yourself into a stupor. Stress is normal. And the more you rely on something else to cope? The less you are able to handle without.

Dec 2018
Florida
Wait a second... we are designed to handle stress like being chased by a tiger blood coursing with adrenaline and endorphins, but we can't handle microdosing?

I've never microdosed, mostly because every single one of the handful of times (almost 30 years ago) I regular size dosed, I vowed never to do it again. Not because it was bad, just because you basically don't sleep that night and then the next day is hell.

Microdosing? Not for me, but it seems like a cure for a problem I don't think I have. I don't feel too stressed, un-alert, or un-confident. Sounds to me like a trend made up by people who wanted to sell mushrooms to bored but relatively successful 40somethings. I've heard that psychedelic drugs are being found useful for similar problems, even treatment of opiate addiction, but the research is pretty new, and I suspect the number of pseudoscience studies of them muddies the water.
Self medicating is always a stupid idea. People don’t understand the point of a drug to destress and what it does to the body when you keep yourself from coping normally.