It May Be Too Late for LGBT People - The SCOTUS Event Horizon

Feb 2015
sadness
I hear you, but are those that are born female entitled to be comfortable when they pee? Two rights come into conflict in some of these situations, the LGBT rights and the religious rights. You say they are entitled to public acceptance, that just isn't how it works. Look at the case of the baker, there was no win in that situation for the LGBT community. None. The baker was never going to bake that cake. All taking him to court did was give him a cause to take all the way to the Supreme Court where he won.

It's a tough situation. The part that has made it more difficult is that the LGBT community refuses to have tolerance for those who cite religion as their reason. They want to compel them to take their money. Instead of using the courts, they need to use community pressure. Spread the word to all their friends that this baker refuses to bake cakes for same sex weddings. Go beyond just the LGBT, go to all of those who sympathize. What did the court case do? Did he bake the cake?

no... two rights come into conflict with the restroom changing are. You need to broaden that christian thing. Its rans rights over women's rights. And this is not just about christians... its muslims too. If muslim women are not even allowed to be in the same swimming pool.. do you really think they will be allowed to be in same restroom or changing room?

Feb 2015
sadness
I don't discriminate. I empathize and sympathize with the LGBT and transgender but I also empathize and sympathize with the religious and those born as women. It's a tough situation, rights come into conflict. There is no easy way to resolve it. Winning court battle after court battle doesn't help if you aren't winning the hearts and minds. At least the minds.
I know that. But if you do not toe the trans agenda line.... you are a bigot.

Dec 2006
required field
Man, this just keeps getting better and better. They really are doing everything they can get away with to eradicate us. And every time they push just a little bit further, pushing the boundaries, seeing if they can get away with just a little bit more. And they do get away with it, they keep getting away with it, because trans voices are pretty much the only ones rising up in protest about it.

We trans people know exactly where this is headed. They just keep taking pieces of us at a time until some of us give up permanently, and the rest have nothing left to lose.

In a 52-45 vote, the Senate confirmed Donald Trump’s nominee, Eric Dreiband.

He will now head up the Department of Justice’s efforts to fight racism, homophobia, and other forms of discrimination, even though he has spent his life defending discrimination.

Dreiband represented the University of North Carolina in a lawsuit against the school’s decision to enforce HB2, which restricted bathroom access for trans people and banned local governments from passing LGBTQ anti-discrimination ordinances.
Lawyer who fought to ban trans people from bathrooms will lead DOJ civil rights division

Dec 2006
required field
Fuck. It's not maybe too late, it is too late. Welp.

DOJ: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Transgender Workers (1)
Posted Oct. 24, 2018, 1:02 PM Updated Oct. 24, 2018, 1:41 PM

The Justice Department today told the U.S. Supreme Court that businesses can discriminate against workers based on their gender identity without violating federal law.

Solicitor General Noel Francisco told the high court that a civil rights law banning sex discrimination on the job doesn’t cover transgender bias. That approach already has created a rift within the Trump administration, contradicting the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s view of the law it’s tasked with enforcing.

A Michigan funeral home wants the high court to overturn a U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit decision finding that the company violated federal workplace discrimination law when it fired Aimee Stephens, a transgender worker. The EEOC successfully sued on behalf of Stephens in that case, but the Justice Department has the sole authority to represent the government before the Supreme Court. The DOJ told the high court that the Sixth Circuit got the case wrong.

“The court of appeals misread the statute and this Court’s decisions in concluding that Title VII encompasses discrimination on the basis of gender identity,” Francisco said in a brief filed with the court.

The Supreme Court is expected to decide in the coming months whether to take up the case. It’s also been asked to consider two other cases testing whether sexual orientation bias is a form of sex discrimination banned under the existing law.
DOJ: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Transgender Workers (1) (1)

Things are going to start happening really quickly after the November election, especially if Republicans manage to keep control of the House. If that happens, you bet you're ass I'm investigating which country I should flee to and who will accept me as an LGBTQ refugee. Of course ideally that country wouldn't be having problems with their own fascist uprising, so that doesn't really leave very many options.

The Trans Lifeline is already dealing with 4x the usual amount of call volume. I expect that number to increase when this news gets out. It's already getting out.

Jan 2014
California
Fuck. It's not maybe too late, it is too late. Welp.

DOJ: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Transgender Workers (1) (1)

Things are going to start happening really quickly after the November election, especially if Republicans manage to keep control of the House. If that happens, you bet you're ass I'm investigating which country I should flee to and who will accept me as an LGBTQ refugee. Of course ideally that country wouldn't be having problems with their own fascist uprising, so that doesn't really leave very many options.

The Trans Lifeline is already dealing with 4x the usual amount of call volume. I expect that number to increase when this news gets out. It's already getting out.
Coyote,

you should look at this from the other side. I can see if someone is hired and already identifies as trans, they shouldn't be discriminated against. However, if the employer hires someone, and they change into something they weren't, that is another issue.

In this case, for example, if the person works in the back room, nobody should care if the guy chooses to pump a stiff full of formaldehyde whilst wearing high heals. However, if the person works in front promoting funeral services, people really might be turned off by a guy in a dress, like something out of Rocky Horror, trying to minister to them in their most vulnerable of times. Is it really fair to the business owner to have his business tank just to accommodate one guy?

Dec 2006
required field
This is the scariest time to be alive in America I've ever experienced. Of course, if your government isn't actively trying to kill you, your experience may be different.

I’m a trans woman, and I’m terrified.

Already, on any given afternoon, I’m regularly and publicly catcalled, mocked, laughed at, and treated as an object of social disgust. Trans women are one of the most assaulted and murdered demographics in the United States, especially when they’re non-white.

We’re the frequent and favorite target of even liberal-leaning culture outlets like Saturday Night Live. Even Democratic darling Kamala Harris repeatedly fought to deny life-saving medical treatment to incarcerated trans women when she served as California’s attorney general.

Even lesbian, gay, and bisexual advocacy organizations like the Human Rights Campaign took decades to support trans activism.

Worse still, in 29 states we can be legally fired or evicted from our homes simply for being trans. And a recent Department of Health and Human Services policy allows any medical provider to deny trans people care of any kind, even in emergency rooms.
Being Trans In America Was Already Scary. Now It's Terrifying.

Dec 2006
required field
He's not doing this stuff just for fun or to distract from his agenda. He believes this stuff, or at least he believes it right now, and that's pretty much the same thing. The 45th President of the United States wants me and all my friends dead.

Much has been written, most of it spot on, about Trump’s anti-transgender agenda since the ‘leaked’ memo was published by the New York Times Sunday.

And yes Trump is using us as political pawns to foment hate during the midterms promising electorates that he’ll ‘erase’ us by redefining Title IV with a ‘narrow legal definition of sex’. But there’s an end game.

When it’s all said and done this racist white nationalist wants to kill each and every one of us.

And like the cowards that they are they always attack children first. The New York Times reported that the narrower definition would be acutely felt in schools and their most visible battlegrounds: locker rooms and bathrooms.
Trump wants trans people dead, creeping ahead targeting children first.

Dec 2006
required field
Every trans person I know is experiencing severe trauma right now.

But, for transgender and intersex people, having rights taken away is just not a return to a time before those rights were gained. It is worse. It is traumatic. It can have the effect of leaving people exposed because they don’t have a closet to return to. It can create absurd legal situations—if, for example, state-issued identity documents are not recognized by the federal government. The revocation of rights feels violent because it is violent, in part because the effort is aimed at preventing the rights from being reclaimed. It is probably for this purpose that draft changes to the law include a proposal for genetic testing to determine sex, according to the Times. James Hamblin, a writer for The Atlantic, interpreted this provision as “proposing widespread genetic testing and keeping records of citizens’ genitals.”
The Trauma of the Trump Administration’s Attacks on Transgender People

Dec 2006
required field
People are scared. People are hurting. People are dying. Real people who are the children of parents just like you. Where are all the pro-life people? Oh, that's right, they're joining in the chorus to remove us from public life by any means necessary. Suicide is just fine by them, whatever works.

According to a post on the Trans Lifeline Instagram, the service that provides support to transgender people received four times its average call volume in the immediate wake of the memo announcing Trump may limit the definition of gender to a binary. The post also said the line got double the amount of first time callers in the same time period. This increase, Sam Ames, executive director of Trans Lifeline told Teen Vogue, shows just how much transgender people are impacted by news that they may be more at risk.

"At Trans Lifeline we are able see in real time that policy debates don’t take place in a vacuum — they have direct and immediate impacts on real lives," Ames said. "Since the HHS memo was leaked, the number of calls to our crisis hotline has more than quadrupled, doubling the number of new callers who have never needed to access our services before. This is bad news, but it isn’t new news."

Ames said the Lifeline also saw an increase in calls from people in Massachusetts, where a ballot question will ask voters to decide whether or not transgender people deserve rights to protect them in public spaces. Calling to question the basic humanity of transgender people by debating whether or not they deserve civil rights like the rest of society is obviously harmful. Ames said that is reflected in the uptick in calls.
Calls to the Trans Lifeline Quadrupled After the Trump Administration's Gender Policy Memo