James Clyburn calls Trump family 'greatest threats to democracy in my lifetime'

May 2013
Boise, ID
Sounds about right Jim

COLUMBIA, S.C. — The third-ranking Democrat in the House on Tuesday called President Donald Trump and his family “the greatest threats to democracy of my lifetime,” saying Congress needed to do more to respond to the president's attempts to undermine American institutions.

Responding to Trump's renewed attacks on the late Sen. John McCain, Rep. James Clyburn, D-S.C., went so far as to resurface his previous comparison of the president's actions to those of Hitler.

In an interview with NBC News, Clyburn noted that he had once been asked if he has ever seen a toxic political climate like today’s, and that while he hadn’t, he has studied ones like it.

"Adolf Hitler was elected chancellor of Germany. And he went about the business of discrediting institutions to the point that people bought into" it,” he said. "Nobody would have believed it now. But swastikas hung in churches throughout Germany. We had better be very careful.”

Rep. Clyburn calls Trump family 'greatest threats to democracy in my lifetime'

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
this kind of talk is not constructive. While I agree with the general sentiment when we start comparing Trump to Hitler all it does cause divisiveness. We need to resist the understandable instincts as American's to lash out emotionally. Our country is strong enough to survive even Trump. We may never be the same. But, we'll survive and come together some day as a stronger republic.

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
Tin foil hat stuff. Loony tunes. The left doing what it always does, demonize. Since at least 1948 the Dims have called every Republican POTUS a Hitler.