James Mattis’s Blistering Criticism of Obama

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
Just when the left had embraced Mattis as a hero. While the MSM again proves that they are scum when they fail to mention the main thrust on his book.

Most of the coverage of James Mattis’s new book, Call Sign Chaos, co-authored with Bing West, deals with the former defense secretary’s relationship with President Trump. The Atlantic‘s pre-publication interview with Mattis was headlined, “The Man Who Couldn’t Take It Anymore.” The New York Times editorial page ran a column about Mattis called “The Man Trump Wishes He Were.”​
Both articles establish that Mattis doesn’t have much to say right now, in either the book or in interviews, about President Trump. Neither piece, though, mentions another president about whom Mattis is more than willing to dish. That would be Barack Obama, who was Mattis’s commander in chief when the then–Marine general led Central Command. Mattis’s critique of Obama isn’t just harsh. It’s blistering.​
...​
In the meantime, at this very moment, we have Mattis’s devastating assessment of Barack Obama’s foreign policy and its calamitous effects on American prestige and American power. Maybe we ought to pay attention?​
The following quotes are from the Mattis book.
I was leaving a region aflame and in disarray. The lack of an integrated regional strategy had left us adrift, and our friends confused. We were offering no leadership or direction. I left my post deeply disturbed that we had shaken our friends’ confidence and created vacuums that our adversaries would exploit.
Old friends in NATO and in the Pacific registered dismay and incredulity that America’s reputation had been seriously weakened as a credible security partner. Within thirty-six hours, I received a phone call from a friendly Pacific-nation diplomat. “Well, Jim,” he said, “I guess we’re on our own with China.”
...​

James Mattis Gives Blistering Critique of Barack Obama Foreign Policy | National Review

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
Just when the left had embraced Mattis as a hero.

Most of the coverage of James Mattis’s new book, Call Sign Chaos, co-authored with Bing West, deals with the former defense secretary’s relationship with President Trump. The Atlantic‘s pre-publication interview with Mattis was headlined, “The Man Who Couldn’t Take It Anymore.” The New York Times editorial page ran a column about Mattis called “The Man Trump Wishes He Were.”​
Both articles establish that Mattis doesn’t have much to say right now, in either the book or in interviews, about President Trump. Neither piece, though, mentions another president about whom Mattis is more than willing to dish. That would be Barack Obama, who was Mattis’s commander in chief when the then–Marine general led Central Command. Mattis’s critique of Obama isn’t just harsh. It’s blistering.​
...​
In the meantime, at this very moment, we have Mattis’s devastating assessment of Barack Obama’s foreign policy and its calamitous effects on American prestige and American power. Maybe we ought to pay attention?​
I was leaving a region aflame and in disarray. The lack of an integrated regional strategy had left us adrift, and our friends confused. We were offering no leadership or direction. I left my post deeply disturbed that we had shaken our friends’ confidence and created vacuums that our adversaries would exploit.
Old friends in NATO and in the Pacific registered dismay and incredulity that America’s reputation had been seriously weakened as a credible security partner. Within thirty-six hours, I received a phone call from a friendly Pacific-nation diplomat. “Well, Jim,” he said, “I guess we’re on our own with China.”
...​

James Mattis Gives Blistering Critique of Barack Obama Foreign Policy | National Review

Yeah, I guess he doesn't suffer fools gladly. Right?

Nov 2013
NY
Just when the left had embraced Mattis as a hero. While the MSM again proves that they are scum when they fail to mention the main thrust on his book.

Yes, this article seems to be "very" conclusive.. LOL.

Jan 2016
Colorado

...​
...​

From your link:

The following year, Barack Obama failed to enforce his “red line” against Syrian dictator Bashar Assad’s use of chemical weapons against civilians. “This was a shot not heard around the world,” Mattis writes. He continues:

Old friends in NATO and in the Pacific registered dismay and incredulity that America’s reputation had been seriously weakened as a credible security partner. Within thirty-six hours, I received a phone call from a friendly Pacific-nation diplomat. “Well, Jim,” he said, “I guess we’re on our own with China.”​

You should attach a goodly chunk of the blame there on the Republican-controlled Congress. President Obama was prepared to launch punitive strikes against Syrian military resources, until Republicans in Congress started insisting that Obama needed to first get 'permission' from Congress. And then, when President Obama did exactly that, asking Congress to authorize strikes on Syria, Congress voted him DOWN, and prohibited any strikes against Syria.

Apparently you have forgotten that. I wonder if Mattis castigates the Congressional Republicans in his book, for DELIBERATELY undermining American credibility.

Dec 2014
The Milky Way
From your link: ...

You should attach a goodly chunk of the blame there on the Republican-controlled Congress.

The Democrats still controlled the Senate in 2012, that was the year Øbama issued his infamous red line remark.

Your attempt at historical revisionism is worthless.

The Long Game, former top Obama national security official Derek Chollet’s 2016 book about Obama’s foreign policy, outlined the last administration’s reasons for not bombing Syria. “[T]here were many concerns about the danger to American pilots (Syria had one of the most sophisticated air defense networks in the world), as well as the possibility of escalation. Everyone understood the risks,” he wrote.There was no question the US had the capability to act decisively, but there was deep uncertainty about where military intervention would lead.”

And as Obama himself said in an April 2016 interview with Jeffrey Goldberg of the Atlantic, attacking Syria might eventually force America’s long-term involvement in the civil war. That made him hesitant to intervene.

How Obama’s "red line" fiasco led to Trump bombing Syria

Jan 2016
Colorado
The Democrats still controlled the Senate in 2012, that was the year Øbama issued his infamous red line remark.

Your attempt at historical revisionism is worthless.

The Long Game, former top Obama national security official Derek Chollet’s 2016 book about Obama’s foreign policy, outlined the last administration’s reasons for not bombing Syria. “[T]here were many concerns about the danger to American pilots (Syria had one of the most sophisticated air defense networks in the world), as well as the possibility of escalation. Everyone understood the risks,” he wrote.There was no question the US had the capability to act decisively, but there was deep uncertainty about where military intervention would lead.”
And as Obama himself said in an April 2016 interview with Jeffrey Goldberg of the Atlantic, attacking Syria might eventually force America’s long-term involvement in the civil war. That made him hesitant to intervene.

How Obama’s "red line" fiasco led to Trump bombing Syria
You are the historical revisionist, dude. It was on August 31, in the year 2013, when Obama announced that we seek authorization from Congress to launch military strikes on Syria:

Authorization for the Use of Military Force Against the Government of Syria to Respond to Use of Chemical Weapons - Wikipedia

And why would we have relied on pilots, when cruise missiles would have been the likely mode of attack? Can you answer that, genius?

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
it's no big revelation that Mattis took issue with both Republican and Democrat politicians (Trump, Obama, Biden and Bush).

The difference is Trump is the only president he felt so strongly about the disagreements that he resigned in protest.