Japan to drop the swastika from its tourist maps

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Japan to drop the swastika from its tourist maps
The symbol, used in Japan to denote Buddhist temples, has been deemed confusing and will be replaced by a pagoda

I understand why Japan is doin it, but that doesn't seem right.. the Buddhist symbol predates Nazis by many many hundreds of years. They could just add a map key to educate the baka gaijins rather than changing the symbol of their religion.

Last edited:

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Don't forget that the maps are designed for use by visiting tourists. For most tourists in Japan, the swastika is inextricably linked with Nazism.

Jul 2014
midwest
Seems like the swastika that we are most familiar with is angled about 45 degrees, and has right angles instead of left angles.

Still, it's always gonna be associated with Nazis.

Just like Hitler ruined that style of mustache for everyone else.

Wonder what took Japan so long to make this decision?

Aug 2018
Vancouver
That symbol is ancient, and used all over Asia for Buddhists.

I was shocked to see them too. Until they were explained once and then my brain was capable of understanding words. If this is confusing to people how the hell did those people manage to fund and organize a trip to Japan??? They're clearly functional adults with brains bigger than a chicken's.

That's really shitty, in my opinion. People need to learn about the breadth of the world. Not have the world cater to their small little life_experience.

But I suppose they're changing the symbol on maps. Not actually tearing down physical signs. So .... Not really a loss. It's not like the tourist maps are themselves ancient and sacred.

Jul 2016
BAN THE TROLL!!!!
Don't forget that the maps are designed for use by visiting tourists. For most tourists in Japan, the swastika is inextricably linked with Nazism.
Yeah...I understand the use of the symbol in Japan as does many intelligent people. However, the symbol has become far more intrinsic as a sign of hate in our past (like the confederate flag) and should be put to rest.

Although the sight of some maga-hat wearing high schoolers giggling and high-fiving each other while on a church sponsored trip to Japan would be something to see.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
... But I suppose they're changing the symbol on maps. Not actually tearing down physical signs. So .... Not really a loss. It's not like the tourist maps are themselves ancient and sacred.
Exactly ... And (yeah, I'm derailing a bit) even if they were tearing down the temples themselves, it wouldn't matter. Not within their culture.

Japan is weird* in this way... You'll visit a temple. And a sign written in English will explain that a) the temple is 800 years old, and b) the temple was destroyed and rebuilt in 1420, 1685, and 1813. For Westerners, this doesn't sound right. If the temple was last rebuilt in 1813, then it's 206 years old; not 800.

However, the Japanese put more value in the purpose of a structure than it's physical form. The physical construction is appreciated, but it doesn't define the temple as much as its societal function as a temple. Replacing the stone and wood construction doesn't reset the clock; a thousand year-old temple may have been physically constructed after the Spice Girls broke up - and it's still a thousand year-old temple.

Neat stuff, IMO.

* from my Western perspective