Jay-Z's Roc Nation Offers Legal Counsel to Phoenix Family Held at Gunpoint By Police, Calls Incident 'Absolutely Sickening'

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
Couldn't find what I was SURE would be an existing thread.

Jay Z to the rescue

The 49-year-old billionaire has been using his immense fortune and influence to save artists like Lil Wayne from the IRS, to pour $50 million into criminal justice reform and to otherwise balance the scales for people of color who have faced prejudice or adversity in Trump’s America.

To that end, after learning about a family that is suing the city of Phoenix for $10 million dollars after accusing the police of using excessive force, Jay-Z and his Roc Nation conglomerate have stepped in to render legal aid.
Family Threatened by Phoenix Police Rejects Apology as a ‘Sham’

The video that surfaced last week showing police officers in Phoenix drawing their guns and screaming threats at an African-American family while responding to a shoplifting complaint has once again raised questions about why officers in the city are so quick to use potentially deadly force. At one point, one of the officers threatened to shoot the 22-year-old father in the head in front of his two small children.

But while much of the coverage — and the official apologies — focused on the officers’ treatment of the family, critics of the police department say the episode also points to its tendency to give selective or misleading accounts that put the blame on residents.

This is why they kneel.

May 2012
By the wall
In almost every incident I side with the police in these incidents because I believe they are acting appropriately.

This is an exception.

And these are my police and I am embarrassed since I pay for them.

Not all of our officers act like this however but in this case I hope the hammer of justice is brought down hard on these officers.

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
At one point, one of the officers threatened to shoot the 22-year-old father in the head in front of his two small children. :mad:
It's like they're PTSD carriers. Nobody is ever going to forget how they felt when they heard those words.

Reactions: The Man

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
OT: Speaking of "seen as savages". I just watched "The Brainwashing of My Dad" on Prime Video, and that exact word was used at some point in time, in that same context.

Worth a watch. I suggested my nephew watch it with my dad, but I thing with dad at 84 y/o, he may lose interest at some point therein. It's 1:25:00 long.

Reactions: The Man
May 2012
By the wall
When the first cop said "fucker" on like his third word I knew it was going to be bad.

It only got worse from there.

Extremely, extremely unprofessional.

I know many police, have had lots of dealings with them, I have yet to hear one curse like these guys did.

They were wearing an attitude backed up by a badge.

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
In almost every incident I side with the police in these incidents because I believe they are acting appropriately.

This is an exception.

Not all of our officers act like this however but in this case I hope the hammer of justice is brought down hard on these officers.
I wouldn't say I almost always side with the police in these sorts of incidents; quite the contrary. But I can, nevertheless, usually understand how things escalated. When cops are responding to a call that someone's waving a weapon around, for example, you can understand how they're going in primed for danger; and can see how mistakes can be made.

But here, I'm left wondering what the heavenly fuck is going on? What incident did the police think they were responding to? It was petty shoplifting by a couple with children. What are they doing? What did the person at the store say when the called the police?

For contrast, here's a clip from Cops with the police responding to a shoplifting. Sure, it's still America, so the copper keeps his hand cautiously next to his gun when he approaches the guy's car. But no one's charging in like they're busting up an ISIS stronghold.

What the fuck?

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

This is an exception.

At least nobody died in this case. Unlike in far too many others...

Here in Canada, cops who shoot innocent people go to prison. It helps deter this kind of shit, you know...