Jeff Miller, R-FL, no business/medical or military background, Trump picks to head VA

Jul 2015
Florida
So we have someone who sat on the Veterans Affairs committee who according to this article thwarted MAJOR reforms. He has NO related background. No medical expertise and never served in the military.

I gotta ask the obvious, how much $$$ did he raise for Trump in FLA? Wasn't one of TRUMPS 'take it to the bank' promises to VETERANS? Now Miller and Donald DO share something in common. MILLER was also birther. (Tweeted a poll to his followers, was Obama born in the US? This after Obama shared his birth certificate with the world).

He is also a friend of Pam Bondi's! (You know the Florida AG who Trump is 'close to' who screwed over Floridians by not allowing them to SUE Trump University. The blonde Trump gave a $25k illegal campaign contribution to--from his FOUNDATION and another $16 - $20k in 'services' for her fundraiser at his private club).

Non-vet Jeff Miller poor choice for for VA secretary

[FONT=&amp]BY TERRON SIMS II, CONTRIBUTOR - 11/28/16 02:34 PM EST[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]0

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

© Getty Images

We recently elected Donald Trump on the theme of change. He promised to harness the best business minds in America and to drain the swamp of the incompetent politicians responsible for our country’s presumed failures. On veterans issues, the President-elect has declared that he will take care of the vets” and issued a 10-point plan — the first of which is to “Appoint a VA Secretary whose sole purpose will be to serve veterans [because] under a Trump Administration, the needs of D.C. bureaucrats will no longer be placed above those of our veterans.”

The irony in all of this is that President-elect Trump’s rumored selection as the next Secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs is neither a business leader nor a veteran.

The leading candidate is outgoing rep. Jeff Miller (R-Fl.), a professional politician with no military service record. For the past six years, rep. Miller has served as Chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Committee. The Phoenix wait-time scandal happened on his watch, as did the failed Choice Act. What did not happen were any of the reforms requested by Secretary Bob McDonald, a former Fortune 50 CEO, West Point graduate, and Army veteran.

At every turn, Miller has obstructed VA reform. He has pushed accountability solely onto the VA, but not accepted any of it himself. Despite all of this, it appears President-Elect Trump is soon to reward Miller with the stewardship of one of our country’s most important and unique departments.

The Secretary of the VA is not a typical cabinet position. S/he is in charge of over 360,000 personnel, a $170 billion budget, and our country’s largest integrated healthcare and benefits system. The VA is currently undergoing a massive transformation and is making fantastic progress, despite obstructionists like Miller.

To choose someone like Miller — someone who only criticizes the VA and thwarts progress at every turn—shows that veterans are a secondary consideration to the Trump administration. President-Elect Trump was correct in his campaign promise, that veterans deserve the best business minds and problem solvers of the world willing to care for and put the needs of veterans above their own...

[/FONT]
http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/the-administration/307705-non-vet-jeff-miller-poor-choice-for-for-va-secretary[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Last edited:

Rorschach

Former Staff
Aug 2012
america
I know nothing about this Senator.

But, I really do hope that Trump will go after correcting the many, many issues with our Veterans.

We need to do better for them. It is a national disgrace how we treat Veterans in this country.....

May 2012
By the wall
Its an administrative post, why do you need to have medical or military experience for that?

Would you rather have a vet that has no administrative background running it?

Remember that these are political positions so you absolutely have to know how to navigate our political system to get things done, that is the biggest thing.

Jul 2015
Florida
I know nothing about this Senator.

But, I really do hope that Trump will go after correcting the many, many issues with our Veterans.

We need to do better for them. It is a national disgrace how we treat Veterans in this country.....
He's a congressman. Not a Senator. RED area of Florida. Of course Senator RUBIO has no military or business expertise either but Trump ain't picking him for shit. NELSON, (D) our other Senator was a lawyer, and an Army Reservist for 6 years and did become a 'legislator-astronaut'. He would have been a better pick!

As for their treatment? I long ago spent my OUTRAGE. They have always been in the back of the line. My father waited for 2 years 'in the system'--30 years ago. (He died of a heart attack before he got eye surgery. Wasn't that one of the fixes mentioned--while they are waiting, they'll just die off?)

Last edited:

Rorschach

Former Staff
Aug 2012
america
He's a congressman. Not a Senator. RED area of Florida. Of course Senator RUBIO has no military or business expertise either but Trump ain't picking him for shit. NELSON, (D) our other Senator was a lawyer, and an Army Reservist for 6 years and did become a 'legislator-astronaut'. He would have been a better pick!

As for their treatment? I long ago spent my OUTRAGE. They have always been in the back of the line. My father waited for 2 years 'in the system'--30 years ago. (He died of a heart attack before he got eye surgery. Wasn't that one of the fixes mentioned--while they are waiting, they'll just die off?)

--Sorry to hear about that. Absolutely ATROCIOUS. This should be a much bigger issue that it is.

Absolutely NO excuse for this.

Jul 2015
Florida
Its an administrative post, why do you need to have medical or military experience for that?

Would you rather have a vet that has no administrative background running it?

Remember that these are political positions so you absolutely have to know how to navigate our political system to get things done, that is the biggest thing.
Seriously?? For the VA?

OMG.

Jul 2015
Florida
--Sorry to hear about that. Absolutely ATROCIOUS. This should be a much bigger issue that it is.

Absolutely NO excuse for this.
Yep, but remember, for all the BULLSHIT faux pride and honoring our vets, MILITARY PERSONNEL are 2nd hand citizens in the eyes of the elite. Always have been. The 'entitled' class could pay a fee or PAY someone else to take his slot to someone who needed the money. Later there were connected daddies and uncles who could their kids deferments (or safe 'non combatant' rules or Guard slots).

I live in a red area, (average per capita $83K) with about 80% percent combined Republicans (and INDs). On a street of 110 houses with at least 200 'military aged' kids from 2002 TILL now, not one kid served either of Bush's wars (or even in uniform). Not one that I KNOW OF IT. Had there been even ONE, I feel sure the ladies would be packing up care boxes, email lists, writing them letters, and telling us about every move, every promotion, when they got home, etc. etc. Not once since Afghanistan!!

Let's NOT lie to ourselves. The MILITARY is the 'working class' with a nicer uniform to America's upper (even upper middle-crust). They are in the service because they have "nothing better going on", no connections, "aren't as bright", and at best don't have the grades for scholarships and are there for the VA benefits on the backend. And don't think the officer class is held in that much higher esteem.

Their housing is MEDIOCRE at best, their kids don't get to go to the 'good schools', they are itinerant and have FAMILY PRESSURES most of us never experience. They wait in lines for medical care. And for their wives that 'follow', they give up their own career tracks putting more downward pressure on family earnings. And those are just the big points.

Slapping a fucking magnet on the back of their Mercedes or Escalade with 'support the troops' is as vapid as the "thank you for you service" BULLSHIT on the rare occasion they do encounter them.

Last edited: