Jefferson Airplanes Paul Kantner Dies

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
Paul Kantner, one of the giants of the San Francisco music scene, died Thursday, Jan. 28, of multiple organ failure. Mr. Kantner, founding member of the Jefferson Airplane, was 74 and had suffered a heart attack earlier this week.
Mr. Kantner suffered from a string of health problems in recent years, including a heart attack in March 2015.
With Jefferson Airplane, Mr. Kantner pioneered what became known as the San Francisco sound in the mid-1960s, with such hits as "Somebody to Love" and "White Rabbit."
The Airplane was renowned for thrilling vocal gymnastics by singers Marty Balin, Grace Slick and Mr. Kantner, the psychedelic blues-rock sound developed by guitarist Jorma Kaukonen and bass player Jack Casady and the LSD-spiked, '60s-era revolutionary fervor of its lyrics.
Definitely the passing of a giant. I have all of the Airplane albums. The actual albums from that time period. Loved the Airplane, okay I was in love with Grace Slick too. I think us Boomers are heading into a really rough ride.

Reactions: 6 people
Jul 2013
On a happy trail
Definitely the passing of a giant. I have all of the Airplane albums. The actual albums from that time period. Loved the Airplane, okay I was in love with Grace Slick too. I think us Boomers are heading into a really rough ride.
He's not a Boomer though.

Their sound stage manager lived across the street from me when I was a kid. He was married on horseback in 1969 up in Lake County in a hippy wedding at their commune, although he was much older than the band. It made the front page of the SF Chronicle

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
He's not a Boomer though.

Their sound stage manager lived across the street from me when I was a kid. He was married on horseback in 1969 up in Lake County in a hippy wedding at their commune, although he was much older than the band. It made the front page of the SF Chronicle
No but, the Airplane was a boomer band. When I was in high school in Missouri in the 60's it wasn't the Mama's and Papa's that had me California Dreaming it was the Jefferson Airplane. Believe me when I say after A school when I got stationed on a ship home ported in San Diego I was ecstatic. I went up to San Francisco on several occasions. I lucked out once, I went over to visit my brother's high school friend in Oakland who was attending UC Berkeley, I got there in time to go with him over to the campus where the Grateful Dead were doing a free concert. No Airplane though.

Oct 2013
Sweden
This is the music of my childhood....*sigh* sad to see these artists die, they seemed so "bigger than life....eternal" but now reality sets in.

Reactions: 2 people

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I guess it's not really surprising that we're having this string of deaths. Still sucks, though.

Reactions: 2 people
Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
This was interesting. I didn't know there was a singer before Grace Slick.

Signe Toly Anderson, a vocalist and original member of the Jefferson Airplane has died.

The singer, who left the band after its first record and was replaced by Grace Slick, died Thursday at her home in Beaverton, Oregon, according to her daughter, Onateska Ladybug Sherwood.

Anderson was 74 and had been suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Anderson, who survived cancer in her 30s, died on the same day that another Airplane member, Paul Kantner, died.

Read more: Signe Anderson, original Jefferson Airplane singer, dead at 74 | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Reactions: 1 person

webrockk

Former Staff
Nov 2009
on the river
My 60's and 70's rock and roll heroes are all dying off. makes me reflect on my mortality... probably more than anything else.

Reactions: 1 person