Jeffrey Epstein, blackmail and a lucrative ‘hot list’

raj

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
Soon after the sex criminal Jeffrey Epstein died in August, a mysterious man met with two prominent lawyers.

Towering, barrel-chested and wild-bearded, he was a prodigious drinker and often wore flip-flops. He went by a pseudonym, Patrick Kessler — a necessity, he said, given the shadowy, dangerous world that he inhabited.

He told the lawyers he had something incendiary: a vast archive of Mr. Epstein’s data, stored on encrypted servers overseas. He said he had years of the financier’s communications and financial records — as well as thousands of hours of footage from hidden cameras in the bedrooms of Mr. Epstein’s properties. The videos, Kessler said, captured some of the world’s richest, most powerful men in compromising sexual situations — even in the act of rape.

...Kessler’s tale was enough to hook the two lawyers, the famed litigator David Boies and his friend John Stanley Pottinger. If Kessler was authentic, his videos would arm them with immense leverage over some very important people.

...Mr. Boies and Mr. Pottinger discussed a plan. They could use the supposed footage in litigation or to try to reach deals with men who appeared in it, with money flowing into a charitable foundation. In encrypted chats with Kessler, Mr. Pottinger referred to a roster of potential targets as the “hot list.” He described hypothetical plans in which the lawyers would pocket up to 40 percent of the settlements and could extract money from wealthy men by flipping from representing victims to representing their alleged abusers.

This is an amazing tale of chicanery, corruption, and greed, and reflects almost as poorly upon the legal system (and the lawyers who abuse it to their own benefit) as it does on those accused of sexually abusing these underage girls.

I have some serious doubts about much money these two charlatans would have actually set aside for the charity they claimed they would have established, but none whatsoever about how much they would have taken to line their pockets after allowing these pedophile creeps to buy their silence.

Reactions: HCProf

raj

Oct 2018
I'm somewhat surprised that no one saw fit to comment on this article, as I actually thought this might be one thing most of us would be able to agree upon.

It is a long article, but I think it's definitely worth reading. I used to have a lot of respect for Boies, but he has proven himself to be rather slimy over the last several years, and this pretty much seals the deal for me. And frankly, I'm more than a little surprised that the type of scam he and Pottinger were working on was even legal at all.

I wonder if Kessler was just a strange breed of scam artist or perhaps someone in the legal profession who knew with whom he was dealing and wanted to shine a light upon them. Maybe both?

Anyway, consider this a bump in the name of unity.

Oct 2019
Earth
If I had inside knowledge, I'd either let it be known that I would never disclose ever, OR I would publish it everywhere instantly, all of it.

The only alternative would be to get ex-seal level private security. When you got a guy that is connected to royalty, it's easier to kill someone than to deal with being exposed.

Jul 2019
Atlanta
Soon after the sex criminal Jeffrey Epstein died in August, a mysterious man met with two prominent lawyers.

Towering, barrel-chested and wild-bearded, he was a prodigious drinker and often wore flip-flops. He went by a pseudonym, Patrick Kessler — a necessity, he said, given the shadowy, dangerous world that he inhabited.

He told the lawyers he had something incendiary: a vast archive of Mr. Epstein’s data, stored on encrypted servers overseas. He said he had years of the financier’s communications and financial records — as well as thousands of hours of footage from hidden cameras in the bedrooms of Mr. Epstein’s properties. The videos, Kessler said, captured some of the world’s richest, most powerful men in compromising sexual situations — even in the act of rape.

...Kessler’s tale was enough to hook the two lawyers, the famed litigator David Boies and his friend John Stanley Pottinger. If Kessler was authentic, his videos would arm them with immense leverage over some very important people.

...Mr. Boies and Mr. Pottinger discussed a plan. They could use the supposed footage in litigation or to try to reach deals with men who appeared in it, with money flowing into a charitable foundation. In encrypted chats with Kessler, Mr. Pottinger referred to a roster of potential targets as the “hot list.” He described hypothetical plans in which the lawyers would pocket up to 40 percent of the settlements and could extract money from wealthy men by flipping from representing victims to representing their alleged abusers.

This is an amazing tale of chicanery, corruption, and greed, and reflects almost as poorly upon the legal system (and the lawyers who abuse it to their own benefit) as it does on those accused of sexually abusing these underage girls.

I have some serious doubts about much money these two charlatans would have actually set aside for the charity they claimed they would have established, but none whatsoever about how much they would have taken to line their pockets after allowing these pedophile creeps to buy their silence.
So what happened.. I can't read the NYT.

raj

Oct 2018
So what happened.. I can't read the NYT.
It's a pretty detailed account. But it's basically summed up in the OP.

Essentially, Boies and Pottinger were looking for evidence to blackmail some of the high profile names among Epstein's "associates," who would either settle with them to keep it out of court, or hire them to defend them. To keep it legit, they were also talking about establishing some sort charity for abused children, but, of course, they were vague about the details. They weren't vague at all about how much they stood to gain by this alleged proof, however.

The cache of evidence was all apparently some sort of hoax, though.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
I've Got Nowhere Else to Go
they almost certainly planned on using the "charity" to launder the money, i imagine.

raj

Oct 2018
they almost certainly planned on using the "charity" to launder the money, i imagine.
I'm not sure if there was even a need to launder it. It was definitely to be used as some sort of front, though. To make it appear as if their blackmail was all for the good of these victims.