Jennifer Lawrence done being nice

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
Jennifer Lawrence is done trying to be likable. She's trying to get equal pay instead. - Vox
[HR][/HR]When the Sony hack happened and I found out how much less I was being paid than the lucky people with dicks, I didn’t get mad at Sony. I got mad at myself. I failed as a negotiator because I gave up early. I didn’t want to keep fighting over millions of dollars that, frankly, due to two franchises, I don’t need.

...But if I’m honest with myself, I would be lying if I didn’t say there was an element of wanting to be liked that influenced my decision to close the deal without a real fight. I didn’t want to seem "difficult" or "spoiled." At the time, that seemed like a fine idea, until I saw the payroll on the Internet and realized every man I was working with definitely didn’t worry about being "difficult" or "spoiled."[HR][/HR]/snip
[HR][/HR]A few weeks ago at work, I spoke my mind and gave my opinion in a clear and no-bullshit way; no aggression, just blunt. The man I was working with (actually, he was working for me) said, "Whoa! We’re all on the same team here!" As if I was yelling at him. I was so shocked because nothing that I said was personal, offensive, or, to be honest, wrong. All I hear and see all day are men speaking their opinions, and I give mine in the same exact manner, and you would have thought I had said something offensive.
[HR][/HR]
OMG, it is SO good to see a member of the younger generation realize that the fight isn't over.

Reactions: 9 people

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Men can be so clueless sometimes, it's sad.

I too am glad this talented young lady is speaking up.

Reactions: 2 people

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
Men can be so clueless sometimes, it's sad.

I too am glad this talented young lady is speaking up.
I love her. I just hope she can keep her shit together as well as she has done thus far.

And after all, she did give me pretty much my favorite gif ever for calling people out on their bull. :)

Reactions: 3 people
Nov 2014
North Carolina
She is definitely an amazing actress and deserves to be in the top salary range.

That being said: she does admit she gave up early during negotiations because she just didn't need the money. So this doesn't sound like an example of sexism to me.

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
She is definitely an amazing actress and deserves to be in the top salary range.

That being said: she does admit she gave up early during negotiations because she just didn't need the money. So this doesn't sound like an example of sexism to me.
That's nice.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.

Did you read the article and everything she had to say? She didn't speak up because women are socially conditioned to strive to be likable and tend to be punished in work environments for being aggressive where men are rewarded.

I’m over trying to find the "adorable" way to state my opinion and still be likable! Fuck that.
You go, girl!

Reactions: 1 person
Nov 2014
North Carolina
Did you read the article and everything she had to say? She didn't speak up because women are socially conditioned to strive to be likable and tend to be punished in work environments for being aggressive where men are rewarded.
!
I don't know about that. I don't think I've ever been in a work environment that didn't have aggressive women. They were usually my superiors as well.

This isn't the 1940's Babba.

I imagine had she been tougher in negotiations she would have got more money. That woman can act - plus she gets butts in the seats. She could have gotten more money if she had tried believe me.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I don't know about that. I don't think I've ever been in a work environment that didn't have aggressive women. They were usually my superiors as well.

This isn't the 1940's Babba.

I imagine had she been tougher in negotiations she would have got more money. That woman can act - plus she gets butts in the seats. She could have gotten more money if she had tried believe me.
Did you read the exchange she had with a man working for her? Are you purposely trying to being obtuse? This is the experience of a young lady in 2015. You remind me of the people who insist we're post-racial. We're no more post-racial than post-gender discrimination.

Reactions: 3 people
Nov 2014
North Carolina
Did you read the exchange she had with a man working for her? Are you purposely trying to being obtuse? This is the experience of a young lady in 2015. You remind me of the people who insist we're post-racial. We're no more post-racial than post-gender discrimination.
As I said: I don't believe women are conditioned to be likable or punished in work environments for being overly aggressive. In my experience: aggressive unlikable women are pretty common place in today's work environment.

So yes: we are post-gender discrimination - at least in this regard. I'm guessing it's been awhile since you explored the job market.