Joe Biden's verbal mistakes pile up as he campaigns in Iowa

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I feel a bit sorry for him. I think he feels he "has to run" and maybe isnt up to it.

Months before launching his 2020 presidential campaign, Joe Biden acknowledged that he is a “gaffe machine,” prone to misstatements and embarrassing mistakes.

He lived up to that reputation this past weekend on a campaign swing in Iowa, renewing fears among some Democrats that the 76-year-old former vice president and current frontrunner in the race for the Democratic nomination may not have the stamina for what would likely be a brutal campaign against President Trump.

At a gun violence forum on Saturday, Biden recalled meeting with survivors of the high school shooting in Parkland, Fla., as vice president — a meeting that could not have taken place, as the attack occurred more than a year after he left office. He repeated the account while talking to reporters after the event. Speaking at the Iowa State Fair on Thursday, Biden suffered a minor slip of the tongue, saying: “We choose truth over facts.” He also briefly confused the late British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher with German Chancellor Angela Merkel. Thursday night, while speaking to the Asian & Latino Coalition in Des Moines, Biden accidentally said that “poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids” before correcting himself.

Biden’s stumbles came a week after his lackadaisical performance in the second round of Democratic debates where he misstated the cost of Medicare for All, confused an insurance deductible with an insurance co-pay and was unable to accurately direct viewers to text support for his campaign.

Democratic officials took notice.

“The problem is that he is a part of a field of a number of extremely articulate people,” former Iowa Lt. Gov. Patty Judge told Vice News over the weekend. “He and his campaign are going to have to work hard to try to articulate their message without those kinds of gaffes [and run] a vigorous campaign in order to counter the idea that he’s too old.”

Biden's verbal mistakes pile up in Iowa

Jan 2019
southeast
I have to say my favorite in the last few days was 'democrats like truth over facts'...lol

DES MOINES — With the Iowa State Fair attendees taking the measure of 2020 Democrats, some say they're increasingly concerned about former Vice PresidentJoe Biden's verbal gaffes and mistakes on the stump.

"Well, I like Biden, he just keeps saying dumb stuff. He feels comfortable in interviews, but his staff just needs to really consider what they're letting him say," said George Alberson, a 62-year-old retiree. "People I know still like Biden. Whether that's predicated on the facts, I have no idea." 'He keeps saying stupid stuff': Iowa Democrats concerned about Biden's gaffes

May 2012
By the wall
He is really a poor candidate.

Not sure if it was this article or a different one but when he dropped out of his last try at president it was when he came in fifth in Iowa and I was reading the names of who beat him and just started laughing.

He is not presidential material but it's not like the democrats have a deep well to pull from now is it?

May 2012
By the wall
He is actually reminding me a lot of Giuliani in his bid for president.

He seemed to only be in it half-heartedly and people saw that.

Mar 2019
Heavy Metal Chick
Katie is a young student from Iowa.
She asked former VP Joe Biden how many genders there are.
Joe answered “at least 3.”
When asked to clarify what they were – Joe got angry. He demeaned the woman & forcefully grabbed her to make a point

It was a dumb question, but Biden needs to learn to control himself.