John Edwards: Even Worse Than You Thought

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
John Edwards: Even Worse Than You Thought

(snip ... )
Many observers agree that the case itself remains a stretch for the government — especially given the dramatic changes to campaign finance law that have happened following the 2008 election.

But what has been clear from the proceedings to this point is that the former heir apparent to the Democratic party, who had already completed a spectacular fall from grace, has been shown through testimony to be even more unscrupulous than many might have previously thought.

Here’s the 5 best pieces of evidence that make that case so far:

more: What We Learned In The First Three Weeks Of The John Edwards Trial | TPMMuckraker

The five best pieces were:

Edwards Referred to Hunter as a ‘Crazy Slut’
He Asked Sean Penn For PR Advice
Justice John Edwards?
Told Aide To ‘Go Fuck’ Himself
Bunny Thought Edwards Should Pay For His Own Girlfriend

I haven't seen too much about this trial, but what I have seen paint Edwards as a complete and utter ass. Can't believe I supported that guy back in 08.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Edwards defense rested today, no rebuttal witnesses called, the article says. Just bank statements and other dry pieces of evidence. Wonder if he's going to be found guilty?

John Edwards Rests His Case Without Mistress' Testimony
By BETH LOYD, JAMES HILL (@jameshillABC) and RUSSELL GOLDMAN (@GoldmanRussell)
GREENSBORO, N.C. May 16, 2012

John Edwards' lawyers abruptly ended his defense today without hearing calling the former presidential candidate or the mistress with whom he carried on an affair.

Lawyers for Edwards ended their case with a series of bank statements, phone records and Federal Election Commission memos.

The courtroom had been braced for blockbuster testimony from Edwards' mistress Rielle Hunter, Edwards's daughter Cate, or Edwards himself.

All three were on a list of possible witnesses for today, but the defense rested without calling any of them.

The evidence presented by the defense contrasts starkly with the dramatic and often emotional testimony of presented by the prosecution detailing Edwards' attempt to keep his affair and the birth of their baby a secret, huge amounts of money spent to the secret hidden, his distraught wife's discovery of the continuing affair, and the unhappy last days of Elizabeth Edwards.

The prosecution called no rebuttal witnesses, setting the stage for lawyers to make their closing arguments beginning Thursday.

more: John Edwards Rests Case Without Mistress Testimony - ABC News

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I'm glad his daughter didn't testify. That would have been painful to witness.

My boss had an interesting question this morning. Considering the new ruling on super PACs would it be illegal for them to do that today?

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
I'm glad his daughter didn't testify. That would have been painful to witness.

My boss had an interesting question this morning. Considering the new ruling on super PACs would it be illegal for them to do that today?

Hm! That is a good question, Babba. I have no idea.