John Kasich is a monster

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
How on earth is it unethical to try to lure business? You do understand it is business and sales that creates revenue...right? Business friendly, not business hostile.
But instead of giving loans, JobsOhio could ask to be partial owners or investors in the business and thus gain equity in companies.
You don't have a problem with the government buying "equity" in private companies?

What's the difference between that and what Obama did with the car companies?

Last edited:

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
He wouldn't have to do this if politicians in the past would have balanced their budgets, instead of pushing it into the future...and the future has arrived.
They were well on their way - here in Muskingum county sales tax even went down 1/2%. Then the economy crashed. If Wall Street didn't see it coming why blame state governments for not expecting this?

They have financial obligations beyond just state employees wages and pensions. We could just raise the sales tax 1% or increase state income tax, they can always lower it later when conditions improve.

I think a lot of what Kasich is doing is radical, and I don't believe for one minute he's doing this shit out of the goodness of his heart.

Jan 2011
Boise, Idaho
Maybe you can answer my question then: Why would the Governor of the State of Ohio need a non-profit group like JobsOhio to lure jobs into the state? Why would he personally need to get involved? Wouldn't being THE GOVERNOR of the state be enough leverage?
Read for yourself: John Kasich for Ohio | JobsOhio Plan

He understands it is business that can create revenue. That business is not evil.

Jan 2011
Boise, Idaho
They were well on their way - here in Muskingum county sales tax even went down 1/2%. Then the economy crashed. If Wall Street didn't see it coming why blame state governments for not expecting this?

They have financial obligations beyond just state employees wages and pensions. We could just raise the sales tax 1% or increase state income tax, they can always lower it later when conditions improve.

I think a lot of what Kasich is doing is radical, and I don't believe for one minute he's doing this shit out of the goodness of his heart.
raising taxes will not improve the situation, it will further derail the economy. I do believe he has the best long term interest of the state in mind. A partisan like yourself could nevber see that, making your position irrelevent.

Dec 2010
Virginia
raising taxes will not improve the situation, it will further derail the economy. I do believe he has the best long term interest of the state in mind. A partisan like yourself could nevber see that, making your position irrelevent.
Ah yes, the standard position of the right: If you can't disprove someone's position deny their right to assert it.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
That's his version.

Now here's another:

According to the administration, they expect to receive about $1.5 billion in return for this $6+ billion in state revenue. Of that, around $300 million will fund JobsOhio, $700 million will defease the bonds that are currently back by liquor profits and $500 million will go to the state general fund to plug the current budget hole.

How many problems do you see here?
  • We are selling nearly $7 billion in revenue for $1.5 billion
  • If there are $700 million in outstanding bonds against liquor profits floated by the state, it will likely cost far more than $700 million to pay them off and float new bonds. And they clearly intend to float new bonds, as the liquor-backed economic development programs funded by the bonds — including the facilities establishment fund at ODOD — are fully funded for both years in the Governor’s budget.
  • JobsOhio is an unproven entity, the legality of whose business model is questionable according to the Ohio constitution. How attractive, in these credit markets, will its bonds be to investors? At best, we’re probably talking junk bond ratings, perhaps explaining why the State is paying such an insane premium to get anyone to invest.
Wall Street Math: Jobs Ohio funding “resolved” | Ohio Budget Watch

Not to mention his ideas about using Jobsohio funds to buy equity in private companies is prohibited under the Ohio constitution:

...in 1850, without any expressed opposition, a state constitutional convention recommended and the public passed an amendment (Article 8, Section 4) which reads, “The credit of the state shall not, in any manner, be given or loaned to, or in aid of, any individual association or corporation whatever; nor shall the state ever hereafter become a joint owner, or stockholder, in any company or association in this state, or elsewhere, formed for any purpose whatever.”
GUEST COLUMN: Violating Ohio’s constitution: Gov. Kasich’s Jobs Ohio bill makes mockery of state law - morningjournal.com

Jan 2011
Boise, Idaho

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Sorry...Not buying the opinion piece by Murray.
The Ohio State Constitution is on line, just so you know.

The credit of the state shall not, in any manner, be given or loaned to, or in aid of, any individual association or corporation whatever; nor shall the state ever hereafter become a joint owner, or stockholder, in any company or association in this state, or elsewhere, formed for any purpose whatever.
Constitution Online

Perhaps you can tell me how what Kasich wants to do doesn't violate this?

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Dismantling the middle class, the way to prosperity. So many people believe this bullshit. Its not going to get better. Too much has been taken away already, the middle class is effectively gone. Corporations are rich. The rich are rich. They're not interested in investing in this country. Were accelerating as we make our way way to the bottom.
This isn't about defending the middle class or anything nearly as noble. It's about a bunch of public employees who want more than their share at the expense of everyone else.