Johnson and Johnson loses another talcum powder lawsuit

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Boy, I remember the days when powder was used for everything!

"A jury in St. Louis awarded $55 million in damages to Gloria Ristesund, who used Johnson & Johnson's talcum powder for more than 35 years before being diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2011. Ristesund's lawyers argued that Johnson & Johnson knew of possible health risks associated with talc, but failed to warn consumers.

"Internal documents from J & J show it knew of studies connecting talc use and ovarian cancer but, to this day, it continues to market it as safe -- neglecting any warning," The Onder Law Firm, which represented Ristesund, said in a statement.

Johnson & Johnson said it plans to appeal the verdict.

Johnson & Johnson just lost another talcum powder cancer lawsuit - May. 3, 2016

Jun 2014
United States
Talcum powder has not contained asbestos since 1970, and there is no evidence to indicate that asbestos-free talcum powder is carcinogenic. These lawsuits are based upon junk science.

Mar 2015
UK
Talcum powder has not contained asbestos since 1970, and there is no evidence to indicate that asbestos-free talcum powder is carcinogenic. These lawsuits are based upon junk science.
shoot, did Talcum powder once have asbestos in it ???

I know I could do a google to find out but it's feels too much of an effort....

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Plus, 35 years of using it, or just thinking about what else happened in this woman's life in 35 years. How the hell do you prove cancer was caused by the powder?

Wonderer

Council Hall
May 2014
Missouri
Little local trivia for you: Jim Onder (lead counsel in this suit) is the brother of Dr. Bob Onder, the state Senator who introduced SJR 39 (the Religious Freedom Bill) here in Missouri. Onder's firm throws a heckuva Christmas party every year, though I've not attended for several years. I'll refrain from sharing my personal observations.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Plus, 35 years of using it, or just thinking about what else happened in this woman's life in 35 years. How the hell do you prove cancer was caused by the powder?
Have no idea. Not sure if this is related to the older asbestos powder or not. Although even pediatricians don't recommend powdering a baby anymore. I guess they figure better safe than sorry? I remember when I was a kid, powder was all over, it seemed everyone used it. Now its not as prevalent.

Jun 2014
United States

It's not necessary to "prove" anything in a civil lawsuit. One need only convince the jurors. Sawdust is a recognized carcinogenic, but talcum powder is not.

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Boy, I remember the days when powder was used for everything!

"A jury in St. Louis awarded $55 million in damages to Gloria Ristesund, who used Johnson & Johnson's talcum powder for more than 35 years before being diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2011. Ristesund's lawyers argued that Johnson & Johnson knew of possible health risks associated with talc, but failed to warn consumers.

"Internal documents from J & J show it knew of studies connecting talc use and ovarian cancer but, to this day, it continues to market it as safe -- neglecting any warning," The Onder Law Firm, which represented Ristesund, said in a statement.

Johnson & Johnson said it plans to appeal the verdict.

Johnson & Johnson just lost another talcum powder cancer lawsuit - May. 3, 2016
Why was she putting talcum powder on her ovaries?

Jul 2014
Border Fence
I think her lawyer's claimed the J&J did not inform the woman that 35 years of using power in her genital area could cause ovarian cancer.

I wonder what would happen to my body if I ingested talc for 35 years.