Johnson and Johnson loses another talcum powder lawsuit

Jun 2014
United States
shoot, did Talcum powder once have asbestos in it ???

I know I could do a google to find out but it's feels too much of an effort....
It's not as if asbestos was ever intentionally added to talcum powder, but it does naturally exist in some of the mines from which talc is excavated. After asbestos was determined to be a carcinogen, regulations required that commercial and food grade talc could no longer be produced from ores containing asbestos.

Have no idea. Not sure if this is related to the older asbestos powder or not. Although even pediatricians don't recommend powdering a baby anymore. I guess they figure better safe than sorry? I remember when I was a kid, powder was all over, it seemed everyone used it. Now its not as prevalent.
The concern is that powder (any powder) can be inhaled and can thereby damage a child's respiratory system.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Well, your ovaries are probably safe. ;)
Read something about this J&J story several weeks ago. Am thinking that the basis for the decision was that the company had their own evidence of the dangers long ago. But did not act on the information nor share/publish it.

If there is compelling evidence of that being a fact then J&J should be held accountable to some degree.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Read something about this J&J story several weeks ago. Am thinking that the basis for the decision was that the company had their own evidence of the dangers long ago. But did not act on the information nor share/publish it.

If there is compelling evidence of that being a fact then J&J should be held accountable to some degree.
Seems they knew inhaling it was dangerous as was the asbestos. As for the rest of it, it seems as though the decisions are erring on the side of caution. Difficult to say exactly what caused someones particular cancer especially when we know both environment and heredity play factors. I think the big fears these days (and the internet "scientists" don't help) is they are fearful of another PCB, asbestos, Agent Orange, DDT type scenario where the companies swore for decades they were safe, until they weren't.

Wonderer

Council Hall
May 2014
Missouri
Update:

A jury in the US state of Missouri initially awarded $550m in compensation and added $4.1bn in punitive damages. The verdict comes as the pharmaceutical giant battles some 9,000 legal cases involving its signature baby powder.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44816805
I was just looking to see if this had been posted!

Yep. I know some of the defense attorneys on this one. All I can say is......OW!!!

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I was just looking to see if this had been posted!

Yep. I know some of the defense attorneys on this one. All I can say is......OW!!!
Do they still even sell baby powder? I know one of my friends that had a newborn these days was told by her pediatrician to use cornstarch for diaper issues.