Johnson and Johnson loses another talcum powder lawsuit

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Boy, I remember the days when powder was used for everything!

"A jury in St. Louis awarded $55 million in damages to Gloria Ristesund, who used Johnson & Johnson's talcum powder for more than 35 years before being diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2011. Ristesund's lawyers argued that Johnson & Johnson knew of possible health risks associated with talc, but failed to warn consumers.

"Internal documents from J & J show it knew of studies connecting talc use and ovarian cancer but, to this day, it continues to market it as safe -- neglecting any warning," The Onder Law Firm, which represented Ristesund, said in a statement.

Johnson & Johnson said it plans to appeal the verdict.

Johnson & Johnson just lost another talcum powder cancer lawsuit - May. 3, 2016
I am astounded this causal connection has been scientifically proven -- in a dozen or so cases, so far. And the awards are stratospheric! This company is in danger of being driven into bankruptcy!

It's very confusing.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
shoot, did Talcum powder once have asbestos in it ???

I know I could do a google to find out but it's feels too much of an effort....
Talc is just powdered stone -- magnesium, silicone and oxygen. Asbestos is a fiber made from silicone. The two were found in baby powder due to the mining processes, inadequate safety in manufacture, etc.

But what puzzles me is, the cancers are not in the respiratory system of miners. I know how asbestos particles cause lung cancer, but how the fuck do they cause ovarian cancer in baby powder users?

Nobody breathes through their vagina!

Reactions: 1 person
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
shoot, did Talcum powder once have asbestos in it ???

I know I could do a google to find out but it's feels too much of an effort....
Asbestos is not poisonous. It's a danger to humans because asbestos products, notably insulation, shed tiny particulates which can be drawn deep into the lungs of some people. Once there, they are very likely to remain. The body cannot usually expel them, and across time, the process of injury and healing in microscopic lung tissues creates abnormal cell growth, aka cancer.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Plus, 35 years of using it, or just thinking about what else happened in this woman's life in 35 years. How the hell do you prove cancer was caused by the powder?
Where are the cervical cancers caused by talcum powder? Where's the cancer of the other reproductive organs? The disease mechanism claimed to exist are just nonsense to me.

Not to mention, HITH can any ovarian cancer be said to have been caused by talc, but not tampons, douches, condoms, etc.?

I had thought they established women without a genetic predisposition to ovarian cancer were at very low risk of this disease?

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
If the science behind these cases is bullshit, what should be done to protect Johnson & Johnson, etc., from looting?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
If the science behind these cases is bullshit, what should be done to protect Johnson & Johnson, etc., from looting?
Its a good question and one similar to why so far nobody has been able to go after Monsanto for glyphosate. Its speculated that it causes cancer but hasnt been proven. There are various cancer clusters near where its used heaviest but it cant be pinpointed. No easy answers once scientists say its cancer causing and people get cancer. I do know doctors have been warning against using it for a very long time. So they must have reasonable belief that it was bad.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC
Do they still even sell baby powder? I know one of my friends that had a newborn these days was told by her pediatrician to use cornstarch for diaper issues.
Yep. I use it after showers.

Keeps my "special places" dry and fresh!!