Joint Chiefs nominee: Russia greatest threat to U.S.

Nov 2007
NE Wisconsin
Washington (CNN)Russia currently poses the greatest global threat to the United States, according to the man slated to be President Barack Obama's top military advisor."Russia presents the greatest threat to our national security," Gen. Joseph Dunford told the Senate Armed Services committee during his confirmation hearing to be the next Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
With its large nuclear arsenal, destabilizing role in Ukraine and threat to NATO nations on its borders, Russia presents a significant challenge to the U.S., even as it faces threats like that of ISIS.
"If you want to talk about a nation that could pose an existential threat to the United States, I would have to point to Russia," Dunford said. "And if you look at their behavior, it's nothing short of alarming,"
Joint Chiefs nominee: Russia greatest threat to U.S. - CNNPolitics.com

Frankly, I would have thought China with Russia a close second. Russia's navy can only field a small number of surface ships and submarines. It's ground forces are riddled with alcoholics and conscripts. China has a much more developed military and it has shown that it has technological expertise capable of hacking into our most sensitive systems.

What's your opinion?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I think Putin is at the top because he is so unpredictable. No one knows what he will do. One day he is quiet and the next he is threatening. Its one of those things that could go either way, he is full of bluster or he is a madman and will start WWIII.

Reactions: 1 person

RNG

Former Staff
Jan 2015
Left coast
Putin has the Chinese power structure beat all to hell in the batshit crazy department. That unstable megalomaniac is a bomb wanting an excuse to go off.

May 2012
By the wall
China may be a bit more organized and with a larger military but they have almost zero ability to project that power. Russia on the other hand does.

China really is not that close enough to anyone we care about (from a geopolitical view) while Russia is.

Then you have the leadership issues of Putin and Xi Jinping where Putin is considered far more ambitious.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Joint Chiefs nominee: Russia greatest threat to U.S. - CNNPolitics.com

Frankly, I would have thought China with Russia a close second. Russia's navy can only field a small number of surface ships and submarines. It's ground forces are riddled with alcoholics and conscripts. China has a much more developed military and it has shown that it has technological expertise capable of hacking into our most sensitive systems.

What's your opinion?
Conscription is still a reality, specifically to the Ground Forces and the surface fleet of the Navy (pretty much all other branches and forces are professional contract based now). But as far as "alcoholics", I wouldn't dismiss them all as such. Russians can fight very well when united around a powerful leader. They did for certain strong Tsars, such as Ivan the Terrible and Peter the Great. Consequently, the Empire expanded vastly under each. They for Stalin, and USSR beat back the Nazis and conquered most of Eastern Europe.

Putin, actually, is also such type of Russian leader... The kind for whom they would fight to the death... That's the problem and what makes this whole situation so dangerous.

May 2012
By the wall
I just read somewhere that Putin has hit an all time high in popularity in Russia. When you have that much support you can do quite a lot.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
[MENTION=20780]Spookycolt[/MENTION]

Putin, IMHO, has a fighter personality.

What I mean is, the guy practiced martial arts his whole life.

He trained in Judo since he was a teen

Karate too, reportedly

and other disciplines.

He is now considered a Judo master

[video=youtube;QUjTaHMw4NI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUjTaHMw4NI[/video]
even released a training DVD in 2008: Vladimir Putin releases judo instruction DVD | World news | The Guardian

He's also earned highest belts in taekwondo
Putin trumps Chuck Norris in black belt stakes - BBC News
and karate
Vladimir Putin becomes eighth-degree black belt - CNN.com

He also trains in boxing

And basically, he is said by those near him to see life in martial arts terms. Everything is a battle to him, a fight, no compromise, must win, by whatever means necessary. Those who step back and try to negotiate are weak. He is a fighter, his job is to overcome his opponent, any way he can.

This is... honestly... why I am worried about Obama facing off with him over Ukraine and such. I mean... they are just very different people. One guy has like five black belts, and the other... plays golf, I guess. Which is not a bad thing. Golf is a nice game. Kinda boring, for my taste, which is why I don't watch it, but I know many good men, including very tough ones, who watch it and play it. Just, Obama doesn't strike me as one like that, to speak plainly. And that's worrisome.

At least, when USSR and USA had the staredown over Cuba, the leaders were a match for each other.

Khushchev and Kennedy were both military men and WWII veterans

Both hard men, uncompromising, in their different ways. Yet they managed, because, perhaps, of their common experiences and ways of thinking, to find a respect for each other, and to compromise.

Putin will not compromise with Obama like that.