Judge says teen who filmed himself raping a girl deserves leniency

Mar 2019
"US" of A
Yep, not only are young people today coddled in their teens and often treated as children, but they are allowed, and sometimes even encouraged, to basically extend their childhood well into their adult years.

I am 30 now, and out of all my ex-classmates in high school here in Canada, those like me (married, living on our own, with own families) are a small minority...

Majority still living at old home...

It is sad and pathetic...

Very different picture among my classmates back in Moscow though, I will say that. Other way around there, very few are still unmarried. There is more pressure in the culture over there, to marry early. Couples who live together without formal marriage are still somewhat stigmatized (called "cohabitants", not really a nice word in Russia, conjure up images of alcoholics and prostitutes and such "fallen people"...), though it is more common today than in Soviet era. And living with parents after you, as a young man, either served in the military (if get drafted for two years at 18 or 19) or after finishing university, is basically completely unacceptable over there. At the very least, you would never find a wife lol Girls especially in Moscow, the capital, would never be with a guy who doesn't have own apartment. It won't happen. Period. No young woman there would move in with you into your parents place. It would be an insult to even ask something like that...
Cool, so we can make our young the enemy as well, so long as we don't have to question society, all is well. I'll add "the young" to my list of those to blame.

Mar 2019
"US" of A
Humans are products of their environment. My parents were married and had four kids by the time they were 23. They had jobs and were responsible. Today thats seen as "too young" and often times we see people that age living at home with mom and dad and playing video games in the basement. Young people can be as responsible as their expectations. If we expect them to still be living with mom at age 30, a lot of them will be. They "get away with it."
And our economic system has had nothing to do with any of that, it's all laziness related to boot straps.

We're no longer talking about rape here, where did Epstein live, with his parents? Who coddled him? The system and the aristocracy. My parents had 5 kids and all of them went to college while my parents always owned their own homes.

On one full time salary plus a part time piano teacher's salary. It's all still the same isn't, our young are fucked up and our society is just dandy, we have someone else to blame so we can all as adults escape any and all responsibility for anything.

Perhaps our young have learned from us.

Reactions: The Man

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
So take that on, be a man.
I certainly do already try to be a good role model for my sons (one is five, other is still a baby), and will try more so as they get older and start to actually understand and follow my example... I will do all I can, in that regard, absolutely.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
If he's a child, he's a child, with the limited cognitive functions of a child, unable to process the world as an adult can.
Sure, but there is no magical moment when a "child" can suddenly operate as a cognitive "adult."
Heinous crimes like this can be catered for in the legislation, for example by ordering ongoing inpatient psychiatric treatment.
Some form of psychiatric treatment will probably be required as a condition of probation/parole, anyway.

Reactions: The Man

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Here is the thing. Juries are HUMAN. So are most Judges. And many will sway on the side of the VICTIM. No matter what the age of the Perp. Once He or She is found GUILTY.
Juries are more likely to do this than judges, which is why in such cases a defendant may wish to waive jury.