Judge says there's no fundamental right to learn to read and write

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
Mandates are responsible for the high cost of education, older citizens are more likely to participate in the political process and less likely to support an education-friendly budget. Every year the special needs student population grows, further increasing costs, further expanding costly mandates, further decaying the education system. It's a tough situation.

Feb 2019
Florida
You realize, of course, that neither of those rights is unlimited, yes ... ?
Irrelevant. You're trying to change the subject. Can you produce ANY statutes or constitutions from ANY country in the world, including the United States, that lays out very clearly the right to an education the way the US Constitution lays out the right to free speech and owning weapons?

Yes or no?

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
If we all decide it's a right, and ensure that we all have access to it, and won't allow people to dismantle the system that ensures we all have access to it, then it's a right.

Really doesn't matter if it's written on some 230 year old piece of paper or not, although if you need something, read the 9th amendment.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

I count among those rights, the right to decide what is a right.
It's so much more complicated than this though. I have 2 school aged children and the budget is just hopeless.

The budget is being eaten alive from the inside, no amount of money you throw at it will fix the problem.

There is an exploding population of children who are considered special needs, with that increased number comes increased representation. Special needs can be anything from an autistic student to one whose primary spoken language is other than English. All of these kids are in "mainstream" classes, they all get paras, special transportation and in addition to their mainstreamed education they receive specialized instruction and facilities.

In my city, education takes up 60% of the overall budget. The police department has been kicking the can on a station and radio system since the mid 90s. The fire department has 1 fire inspector for a population of 60k. The mill rate is 41.46, downtown is largely vacant and we currently have 178 properties listed as foreclosures.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
It's so much more complicated than this though. I have 2 school aged children and the budget is just hopeless.

The budget is being eaten alive from the inside, no amount of money you throw at it will fix the problem.

There is an exploding population of children who are considered special needs, with that increased number comes increased representation. Special needs can be anything from an autistic student to one whose primary spoken language is other than English. All of these kids are in "mainstream" classes, they all get paras, special transportation and in addition to their mainstreamed education they receive specialized instruction and facilities.

In my city, education takes up 60% of the overall budget. The police department has been kicking the can on a station and radio system since the mid 90s. The fire department has 1 fire inspector for a population of 60k. The mill rate is 41.46, downtown is largely vacant and we currently have 178 properties listed as foreclosures.
More federal funding is the answer.
Nothing is more important for the welfare of citizens than UHC and good public education.

The COTUS demands that congress provide for the general welfare out of the tax money it's authorized to levy and collect.

Last edited:

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Irrelevant. You're trying to change the subject. Can you produce ANY statutes or constitutions from ANY country in the world, including the United States, that lays out very clearly the right to an education the way the US Constitution lays out the right to free speech and owning weapons?

Yes or no?
Doesn't matter - Second Amendment rights are limited.

“Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.”

- SC Justice Scalia, District of Columbia v. Heller

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Doesn't matter - Second Amendment rights are limited.

“Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.”

- SC Justice Scalia, District of Columbia v. Heller
Only braindead RWNJ's don't understand this! (most of whom I fear don't know which end of the gun the little point things come out of!)

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Irrelevant. You're trying to change the subject.
I was addressing my subject. BarKnuckles, to whom your question was addressed, can answer easily enough - in addition to having already cited the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (Article 26).
Can you produce ANY statutes or constitutions from ANY country in the world, including the United States, that lays out very clearly the right to an education the way the US Constitution lays out the right to free speech and owning weapons?
India joins list of 135 countries in making education a right
Right to education - Wikipedia
Children’s right to education: Where does the world stand?

And, of course, the Convention on the Rights of the Child - which the U.S. signed by has not ratified.