Just...damn

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Foolishness.

"*Skip*

When Mikhail Gorbachev was named general secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (CPSU) on March 11, 1985, his primary domestic goals were to jump-start the moribund Soviet economy and to streamline the cumbersome government bureaucracy. When his initial attempts at reform failed to yield significant results, he instituted the policies of glasnost (“openness”) and perestroika (“restructuring”). The former was intended to foster dialogue, while the latter introduced quasi free market policies to government-run industries. Rather than sparking a renaissance in Communist thought, glasnost opened the floodgates to criticism of the entire Soviet apparatus. The state lost control of both the media and the public sphere, and democratic reform movements gained steam throughout the Soviet bloc. Perestroika exhibited the worst of the capitalist and communist systems: price controls were lifted in some markets, but existing bureaucratic structures were left in place, meaning that Communist officials were able to push back against those policies that did not benefit them personally. In the end, Gorbachev’s reforms and his abandonment of the Brezhnev Doctrine hastened the demise of the Soviet empire. By the end of 1989 Hungary had dismantled its border fence with Austria, Solidarity had swept into power in Poland, the Baltic states were taking concrete steps toward independence, and the Berlin Wall had been toppled. The Iron Curtain had fallen, and the Soviet Union would not long outlast it.

*Skip*"

The demigod Reagan of myth and legend who singlehandedly brought down the Soviet Union with a quote, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" and who was an arch conservative who cut back the federal bureaucracy never existed.

The real Reagan presided over the bailout of the S and L industry and the continued growth of the federal government.

That said, Real Reagan still stood head and shoulders over the current president.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
What your source leaves out here is how the Soviets got into the untenable situation that Gorby inherited. That was Reagan's doing. By the time Gorby showed up the Soviet empire was collapsing and all he could do is manage that collapse. By the way running to wiki for a response shows you have no knowledge of the subject and couldn't back up your initial statement with that knowledge.
No, Wikipedia is a valid crowdsource for this historical event.

I found your silly assertion on Reagan's contribution so interesting, I started a thread on this in the History forum.

Sep 2019
Idaho
I think Lech Walesa deserves a lot more credit than he gets. Most Americans still don't know who he was.
That's true but so does Reagan. Solidarity had collapsed and most if its leadership was imprisoned. Reagan covertly funded it's rebirth with money and material without which the movement would have ceased to exist.

Sep 2019
Idaho
The demigod Reagan of myth and legend who singlehandedly brought down the Soviet Union with a quote, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" and who was an arch conservative who cut back the federal bureaucracy never existed.

The real Reagan presided over the bailout of the S and L industry and the continued growth of the federal government.

That said, Real Reagan still stood head and shoulders over the current president.
Bring down this wall nothing more than the curtain call of Reagan's long fought black ops war to destroy the Soviet Union.

Sep 2019
Idaho
No, Wikipedia is a valid crowdsource for this historical event.

I found your silly assertion on Reagan's contribution so interesting, I started a thread on this in the History forum.

Whats the silly part of providing Stinger missiles to Afghanistan fighters that were losing to the Soviets intrusion?

Care to elaborate?

May 2019
West Haven
Just another smear article no different than the rest since Trump was elected meant to sway public opinion and peel away some of his supporters and it's failing miserbly.

"Fifty-three percent of Republicans said Trump was a better president than Lincoln, while 47 percent chose the Civil War-era leader."
That just shows how truly ignorant people, who currently identify as Republican, are.

May 2019
West Haven
I love it when leftists like Charles Pierce pretend that they didn't hate presidents like Reagan or Bush just as much when they were in office. This is just disingenuous. They sit there and pretend that they really respected Republicans all along until Trump came along. One of the reasons we have Trump is because the left said the same things about every other Republican that they say about Trump. I don't know why we're supposed to pay along with this "back then we respected each other" bullshit from a guy who also said this...

View attachment 32102
I guess you don't understand there is a difference between liking or supporting and respecting. But that is to be expected of Trumpettes.