JUST IN: Video appears to show missile hitting object in sky over Tehran

Jan 2007
Bad things happen when an air defense network is on "shoot at everything hostile on sight" fire watch. Iran was mobilizing for war, as were we.

Iran is still responsible for what happened, but the plane should have never been allowed to take off in the first place.
Air traffic has been flying in & out of Iran and all over the Persian Gulf. Did civilian aviation even know about the military activity by Iran that night? Tipping your hand of your military actions doesn't sound like a strategy.

Reactions: The Man

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
Air traffic has been flying in & out of Iran and all over the Persian Gulf. Did civilian aviation even know about the military activity by Iran that night? Tipping your hand of your military actions doesn't sound like a strategy.
I don't think they needed to know. I think all they needed to know was that Iran and the U.S. were beating the war drum as hard as possible from the moment Soleimani died.

When you combine that with actively defended air space, it's just way too risky to continue to allow normal civilian air traffic.

Jul 2014
midwest
It was their responsibility to check it anyway, but my overall point was, both the U.S. crews and Iranian crews saw data, interpreted it wrongly, and acted decisively when that's what they're trained to do, especially when they are in crisis mode. Hindsight judgement is really, really difficult, and because we know all that we know about the hazards of errant air-defense during a crisis, we should not be allowing passengers jets to fly through dangerous airspace EVER, period.
That's easy to say sitting here on a keyboard in the very safe CONUS.

When they were on a warship in that region of the world with a target coming at them who will not acknowledge radio warnings...not so much.

But, I do understand your point.

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas

When they were on a warship in that region of the world with a target coming at them who will not acknowledge radio warnings...not so much.

As I've said, hindsight judgement away from the theatre is very difficult. For both the U.S. and Iran.

We are agreed on the most important point, then: If hostilities are obviously imminent or already occurring, it makes no sense to allow ordinary civilian passenger traffic.

Jul 2014
midwest
As I've said, hindsight judgement away from the theatre is very difficult. For both the U.S. and Iran.

We are agreed on the most important point, then: If hostilities are obviously imminent or already occurring, it makes no sense to allow ordinary civilian passenger traffic.
Totally agree.

But, in that part of the world, things that seem like common sense here, probably don't even get consideration...

Jan 2007
I don't think they needed to know. I think all they needed to know was that Iran and the U.S. were beating the war drum as hard as possible from the moment Soleimani died.

When you combine that with actively defended air space, it's just way too risky to continue to allow normal civilian air traffic.
So does each airline make that decision or does the airport shut down?

Jul 2011
UK/Australia

The USS Vincennes shot down the Iranian Airbus while it was over Iranian territorial waters, and the cruiser was in Iranian waters. There was no excuse for the incompetence of the captain and crew, and it is almost impossible to mistake a lumbering Airbus A300 which is climbing to cruise height for a small F14 interceptor which is diving in attack mode as claimed by the crew of the Vincennes (added to which the F14 as sold to Iran was incapable of air to surface attack). The Airbus was transmitting IFF signals in Mode III, a signal that identified it as a civilian aircraft, and not Mode II as used by Iranian military aircraft.

Captain Rogers should have been court martialled, but instead was awarded a Legion of Merit for his actions which resulted in the deaths of 290 civilians, including 66 children. It was a war crime as much as the shooting down of this airliner by Iran - and there is no excuse for either.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnflesh
Jul 2014
midwest
The USS Vincennes shot down the Iranian Airbus while it was over Iranian territorial waters. There was no excuse for the incompetence of the captain and crew, and it is almost impossible to mistake a lumbering Airbus A300 which is climbing to cruise height for a small F14 interceptor which is diving in attack mode as claimed by the crew of the Vincennes (added to which the F14 as sold to Iran was incapable of air to surface attack). The Airbus was transmitting IFF signals in Mode III, a signal that identified it as a civilian aircraft, and not Mode II as used by Iranian military aircraft.

Captain Rogers should have been court martialled, but instead was awarded a Legion of Merit for his actions which resulted in the deaths of 290 civilians, including 66 children. It was a war crime as much as the shooting down of this airliner by Iran - and there is no excuse for either.
It was the crew of the airliner's bad decisions that was responsible for their fate.

The Navy ship had seconds to make a life or death decision.

A horrible tragedy for both sides...