JUST IN: Video appears to show missile hitting object in sky over Tehran

Jan 2007
The USS Vincennes shot down the Iranian Airbus while it was over Iranian territorial waters, and the cruiser was in Iranian waters. There was no excuse for the incompetence of the captain and crew, and it is almost impossible to mistake a lumbering Airbus A300 which is climbing to cruise height for a small F14 interceptor which is diving in attack mode as claimed by the crew of the Vincennes (added to which the F14 as sold to Iran was incapable of air to surface attack). The Airbus was transmitting IFF signals in Mode III, a signal that identified it as a civilian aircraft, and not Mode II as used by Iranian military aircraft.

Captain Rogers should have been court martialled, but instead was awarded a Legion of Merit for his actions which resulted in the deaths of 290 civilians, including 66 children. It was a war crime as much as the shooting down of this airliner by Iran - and there is no excuse for either.
At least it should of ruined his career. Trigger happy militaries are a big problem. A good reason to get out of the region. We don't need their oil, we don't them.

Reactions: Leo2
Jul 2011
UK/Australia
It was the crew of the airliner's bad decisions that was responsible for their fate.

The Navy ship had seconds to make a life or death decision.

A horrible tragedy for both sides...
A U.S. Navy report on July 28, 1988 concluded that the Iranian aircraft was actually ascending “within the established air route,” and it was traveling at a much slower speed than reported by the Vincennes. Furthermore, the airliner’s failure to communicate with the Vincennes was dismissed; in contact with two air control towers, the Iranian pilot had no reason to check the international air-distress channel.

Capt. William C. Rogers III, who was involved in several skirmishes with Iranian vessels and who had a reputation for aggressiveness, ignored orders to change course and instead continued to pursue the enemy gunboats into Iranian territorial waters, over which he shot down the Iranian Airbus 300.

The Airbus captain was not at fault in any way, and I regret to say that am beginning to tire of certain Americans who insist upon attempting to excuse each and every US war crime. To reward such a crime with a medal of honour is adding insult to injury. IMO Americans are better than that.

May 2016
Florida
A U.S. Navy report on July 28, 1988 concluded that the Iranian aircraft was actually ascending “within the established air route,” and it was traveling at a much slower speed than reported by the Vincennes. Furthermore, the airliner’s failure to communicate with the Vincennes was dismissed; in contact with two air control towers, the Iranian pilot had no reason to check the international air-distress channel.

Capt. William C. Rogers III, who was involved in several skirmishes with Iranian vessels and who had a reputation for aggressiveness, ignored orders to change course and instead continued to pursue the enemy gunboats into Iranian territorial waters, over which he shot down the Iranian Airbus 300.

The Airbus captain was not at fault in any way, and I regret to say that am beginning to tire of certain Americans who insist upon attempting to excuse each and every US war crime. To reward such a crime with a medal of honour is adding insult to injury. IMO Americans are better than that.
Please don't judge us by the small number of partisan hacks you see here on PH. I am also ashamed by the comments they make, and my only hope is that karma visits them sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Leo2 and Davocrat
Jul 2011
UK/Australia
Please don't judge us by the small number of partisan hacks you see here on PH. I am also ashamed by the comments they make, and my only hope is that karma visits them sooner rather than later.
Let not your heart be troubled. I have actually spent a relatively short time in your beautiful country, and my experiences have made me aware that Americans are, in general, amongst the friendliest, kindest, and most generous human beings I have encountered in my 21 years on this planet. So I would never judge my many American friends by the tiny minority who spout jingoistic sentiments.

As an old British expatriate who made his life in New York once said "The system is merciless - but the people are magnificent!"

And I don't think he was overstating the case. :)

• Love
Reactions: ATLglock