Justice Dept. Seeks to Question C.I.A. Officers in Russia Inquiry Review

Jan 2019
southeast
This should be very interesting and should have happened a long time ago.

Justice Dept. Seeks to Question C.I.A. Officers in Russia Inquiry Review
Julian E. Barnes, Katie Benner, Adam Goldman and Michael S. Schmidt 18 hrs ago

Catherine Deveny, Dan Coats posing for the camera: Gina Haspel, the C.I.A. director, has told senior officials at the agency that it will cooperate with the Justice Department review of the origins of the Russia inquiry.
© Sarah Silbiger/The New York Times Gina Haspel, the C.I.A. director, has told senior officials at the agency that it will cooperate with the Justice Department review of the origins of the Russia inquiry.
WASHINGTON — Justice Department officials intend to interview senior C.I.A. officers as they review the Russia investigation, according to people briefed on the matter, indicating they are focused partly on the intelligence agencies’ most explosive conclusion about the 2016 election: that President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia intervened to benefit Donald J. Trump.

The interview plans are the latest sign the Justice Department will take a critical look at the C.I.A.’s work on Russia’s election interference. Investigators want to talk with at least one senior counterintelligence official and a senior C.I.A. analyst, the people said. Both officials were involved in the agency’s work on understanding the Russian campaign to sabotage the election in 2016.Justice Dept. Seeks to Question C.I.A. Officers in Russia Inquiry Review

Jul 2014
CA
For the love of God

From the link

While the Justice Department review is not a criminal inquiry, it has provoked anxiety in the ranks of the C.I.A., according to former officials. Senior agency officials have questioned why the C.I.A.’s analytical work should be subjected to a federal prosecutor’s scrutiny.

Showing once again, that Barr is just a puppet for Trump, and he does not care one wit about our actual national security.

Jul 2011
Toronto
For the love of God

From the link

While the Justice Department review is not a criminal inquiry, it has provoked anxiety in the ranks of the C.I.A., according to former officials. Senior agency officials have questioned why the C.I.A.’s analytical work should be subjected to a federal prosecutor’s scrutiny.

Showing once again, that Barr is just a puppet for Trump, and he does not care one wit about our actual national security.
FWIW, I think intel agencies SHOULD absolutely operate under independent outside oversight. Otherwise, when you take them off the leash and allow them to do whatever they want in the shadows, with impunity, that's where you get nasty shit that went on with KGB in USSR or the Stasi in East Germany, etc...

Jul 2014
CA
FWIW, I think intel agencies SHOULD absolutely operate under independent outside oversight. Otherwise, when you take them off the leash and allow them to do whatever they want in the shadows, with impunity, that's where you get nasty shit that went on with KGB in USSR or the Stasi in East Germany, etc...
All the IA agencies have their own inspector general.

Dan Coats must be really livid right now.

Oct 2009
Kansas
All the IA agencies have their own inspector general.

Dan Coats must be really livid right now.
There is also an Inspector General of the Intelligence Community, who reports directly to Coats.

I'm not sure I find the CIA Inspector General to be a credible independent oversight authority. Not enough separation.

But the DNI office and associated staff are.

Oct 2009
Kansas
Barr's nonsense doesn't really trouble me. If he's really serious about this, people will resign en masse and Barr will will be left with yet another giant bag of shit that he will have to answer to Congress for. I suspect he is not actually serious, he's just throwing Trump and Fox News a bone.

Oct 2009
Kansas
LMAO @ the Leftist delusions .....

You guys have nothing .....

Go ahead .... Comment on the topic ...
So Barr kind of got into the job by pretending to be someone who respects institutions and rules, rather than a hack.

The problem for him is, while he succeeded in getting past confirmation on this act (and with the Senate composed as it is, virtually anyone would have), he has so heavily imbibed the Kool-Aid that if he once possessed the kind of finesse required to shield the president from scrutiny while also retaining his reputation, he has lost that skill. His handling of the Mueller report could not have been more unsteady and ham-fisted, while still coming from the Attorney General. He ruined his credibility in the eyes of everyone who matters.

Like Trump, what Barr does now is kind of a laughing matter, neither man has the gravitas to coerce their opponents into doing anything, least of all cooperate with an "investigation of the investigators." Barr is no Michael Horowitz, but if Horowitz felt that a case is to be made against Trump's critics, he would've already made it. Instead here we are with Barr trying to placate the president's churlish desire to exact retribution in a way Trump neither knows how to realize nor does he have the patience and the focus to see it through.

We will be back here in a year, nothing significant will have transpired, and you'll be horned up on your latest pro-Trump conspiracy theory.

Nov 2018
Bel Air, MD
LMAO @ the Leftist delusions .....

You guys have nothing .....

Go ahead .... Comment on the topic ...
I have to laugh at how clueless these Trump haters are. They are going to be shocked when the IG report is released and the prosecutor that Barr appointed reports his findings. In fact, the leftists media are going to crash and burn. Oh wait, they are already doing this.

American deserves to know the truth --- just how corrupt the Obama Administration was and what they were trying to do.