Kamala Harris, Pistol Packing Mama

May 2013
Boise, ID
There have been many more mass shootings with handguns than with AR15 rifles, many more have died from handguns.

My Glock 19 is defined as an assault weapon in Harris' California.
The deadliest mass shootings with the worst carnage in the US and worldwide have been with assault-style rifles.

Why the AR-15 keeps appearing at America's deadliest mass shootings
FACT CHECK: Were AR-15s Used in Every Major Mass Shooting in the United States After Aurora?
What makes the AR-15 style rifle the weapon of choice for mass shooters?

Perhaps you can mansplain why anyone would need such a thing for home protection or for hunting, cause I don't get it. I'm not a gun grabber, but the least we could do is universal BG checks (including mental red flags) - NO gun sales to anyone (not just a spouse) convicted of stalking or abuse, clip limitations, and mandatory basic training.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
valid location
It will be thrown out by the SCOTUS.
Hardly a given. Government is allowed to regulate firearms in specific ways that relate to public safety.
It is ridiculous, just imagine if it was the sole decision of the county mayor of who was allowed to exercise their 1st amendment rights in public or who got to vote.
But it IS up to local governments to regulate 1st amendment rights in public and it's up to states to decide who gets to vote. This is already common. Local and state authorities are allowed to determine time, place, and manner for 1st amendment rights--and they do. Different states have different rules about who can vote--felons can vote in some places, not in others. The only requirements are that all citizens have to be subject to the same rules and certain kinds of discrimination (age, sex) are not allowed.

Face it, you want gun rights to be MORE liberally applied in the law than speech rights.

Apr 2015
Katmandu
The deadliest mass shootings with the worst carnage in the US and worldwide have been with assault-style rifles.

Why the AR-15 keeps appearing at America's deadliest mass shootings
FACT CHECK: Were AR-15s Used in Every Major Mass Shooting in the United States After Aurora?
What makes the AR-15 style rifle the weapon of choice for mass shooters?

Perhaps you can mansplain why anyone would need such a thing for home protection or for hunting, cause I don't get it. I'm not a gun grabber, but the least we could do is universal BG checks (including mental red flags) - NO gun sales to anyone (not just a spouse) convicted of stalking or abuse, clip limitations, and mandatory basic training.
There are mass shootings every week in Chicago, all with handguns, rifles are rarely used.

Statistically almost all mass shootings are committed with handguns.

24 shot, 5 fatally, in Chicago over warmest weekend this year

24 shot, 5 fatally, in Chicago over warmest weekend this year

Posted 6:41 AM, April 8, 2019, by WGN Web Desk, Courtney Gousman and Tonya Francisco, Updated at 05:22PM, April 8, 2019

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
Apr 2015
Katmandu
Hardly a given. Government is allowed to regulate firearms in specific ways that relate to public safety. But it IS up to local governments to regulate 1st amendment rights in public and it's up to states to decide who gets to vote. This is already common. Local and state authorities are allowed to determine time, place, and manner for 1st amendment rights--and they do. Different states have different rules about who can vote--felons can vote in some places, not in others. The only requirements are that all citizens have to be subject to the same rules and certain kinds of discrimination (age, sex) are not allowed.

Face it, you want gun rights to be MORE liberally applied in the law than speech rights.
First amendment and voting rights are the same for everyone, yet 2nd amendment rights are dished out selectively based on the subjective opinion of a single individual on a case by case basis in some places.

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
First amendment and voting rights are the same for everyone, yet 2nd amendment rights are dished out selectively based on the subjective opinion of a single individual on a case by case basis in some places.
Let me make sure I understand what you prpose here.
Are you saying that evry citizen, regardless of age, legal status , mental or physical disability, has a Constituional right to "keep and bear arms" pretty much of any type when, where and how he/she pleases?

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
valid location
You keep repeating this lie. How many times to I have to debunk it? It's not the "subjective opinion of a single individual." It's the policy established by an elected official. The same is true for 1st amendment rights, where policies regarding time, place, and manner are determined at the state and local level.

We're going around in circles. You keep spouting things that aren't true and I keep correcting you. It's getting boring.